Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird left to die by callous people-More News
Sad 
Angry Sadsmiley 47 37 Angry

I cannot believe that anyone would be so callous, cruel and uncaring. Who ever did this is a total lowlife scum.

They took an adult cockatiel and put him in a clear plastic food container. Then they discarded him under a tree.
[Image: IG_PC7ZqYI2-5MClK3481tES08oosa2JVugaBRE5...40-h754-no]

This is what they put him in. (how thoughtful of them to give him air holes when they didn't give water)

Who knows how long he was out there before someone saw him. They had no idea what to do so they brought him to the  nearby  reptile centre. We also have birds so it was the fastest way to get him help.
His one eye is so infected that he can't see out of it. We have cleaned it up and treated it, but I don't know if he can see.
He has few feathers on his head and the rest are dirty and ragged. Can you imagine how frightened he was out there like that, trapped in a tiny plastic container, dying of dehydration. Angry

He ate and rested a little. When I dropped in tonight we cleaned him up and gave him more food and clean water. He was sitting on the bottom of the cage looking very confused and disoriented. I spent time whistling to him and talking to him and he seemed to respond. I moved the perches down really low so he can reach them easier. We also put his cage where he can see our other cockatiel. When I left he had managed to climb onto a perch and he could see and talk to the other bird. He was even looking a little better.

[Image: irziP3UMn8X4NHaNdFIR8z-L9u27DBBgNvgLkjQj...40-h754-no]

It wasn't easy getting a picture. I didn't want to upset him.

I will let you know how the little bird is doing. I hope he makes it and goes on to become a beloved pet of someone who cherishes him.
You can all imagine what I hope for the lowlife who dumped him like that.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I have boiled an egg for the little guy. I understand that it will help him regain his strength and his feathers.

I can't believe anyone would be so callous as to leave a bird to die in a small plastic "coffin". Angry
Catherine

Oh how sad and cruel! Goodness knows where some peoples' heads are at....to give him air-holes, yet not think about water! Huh  How could someone do that to him? Poor dear little thing. I know he will be okay now. He has friends. It may take him some time to get his strength back but at least now he has hope and some understanding and TLC!
Now that we have had a few days with him we realize that he is almost starved to death anyhow. So abandoning him was not the worst of it. He is in terrible shape. He is seriously thin and his feathers are a mess. His eye is infected and now possibly blind. He is in terrible shape.

He ate the egg I brought him and some of the seed mix. He is perching  better and he even sings, but very quietly. I think when he is better he will be a very pretty bird. I actually had him perching on my finger for awhile.
I think having the other cockatiel to talk to him has really helped. The healthy bird sings to him a lot and he looks more relaxed because of it.

Whoever they are out there, they didn't deserve this beautiful bird anyhow.
Catherine

I missed this thread somewhere along the lines...

How wonderful that the poor bird has you and the others at the centre to give him some love and care. How anyone could ill treat such an innocent creature and then abandon it - well, that's just beyond words.
If they didn't want him there are two main shelters that would take him and probably some bird rescue groups.
Certainly starving him and then dumping him to die were not acceptable choices. Reasonable decent people do not do things like this. So out there somewhere are a group of nasty miserable people and I hope they get the life they deserve.

The little bird looks better every day and someone is already looking at him. I know she would not care if he is blind in one eye  and damaged and he would have the best loving home ever. If not her then one of our other bird loving friends will want to give him a loving home. We always find good homes for damaged pets. There are a lot of good loving people out there.

I will keep you posted on his progress.
Catherine

Yes they didn't just dump him in precarious circumstances, but they obviously didn't look after him or care for him either. Who knows how long that's been going on?
But what could have been a tragedy turned into his hope for the future. I know he will be OK now. Thank goodness you found him Catherine! Bless him.
Poor dear little thing,we have cockatiels broke my heart when I read this horrible people karma will get them one day.
He is such a sweet little bird and so brave. Even after what has happened to him he is trying to eat and  perch and even sing a little. He was willing to trust me and sit on my finger. Even though he is confused and frightened he still trusts people to care for him.

These miserable people had a beautiful, loving bird in their care and they failed to care for him and then dumped him where he would die. It was just chance that someone saw the container and realized it held a live bird and not a discarded lunch.
He is a lucky little bird and he will survive and thrive. We are going to baby him until he is well and then we will place him in the best home ever.

[Image: GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATYwMA....com&isc=1]

I think he looks a little brighter.
Catherine

How's the little thing going now Catherine?