Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Vegetarian Day
I looked up a number of special days and it seems that Oct 1 is World Vegetarian Day.  I think enough of us are trying to eat meat free so we should celebrate it.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...Y-yijAj3Fw

Times have changed. When I was a kid I doubt most people even knew what a vegetarian was. Now it gets a whole day and a lot of attention. This is a good sign that times have changed for the better.

It is also International Coffee day.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...F4i_ysqRIg

Coffee is a plant so celebrate World Vegetarian Day with a cup of coffee!
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Haha, I have already celebrated World Vegetarian Day with TWO coffees this morning! Smiley4

And in a minute I am having a cheap but very tasty veggie dinner. Baked bean curry with toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and some broccoli.

It seems there is a day for everything!
Happy vegetarian day, dear Catherine and Tobi! When I was a child, there were very few vegetarians and the subject of meat eating was never really discussed. That changed, starting with the later 60s. These days, vegetarianism is mostly understood as a concept (although some people still think that vegetarians eat fish).
Yes it was the same when I was a child. No-one had ever heard of being a vegetarian. Everyone ate meat. People thought if you didn't eat meat you would get very ill and die! Vegetarianism wasn't ever thought about or discussed.

But things have changed and we have begun to realise that it is a very healthy way to eat. As well as kind to animals. Eating meat has been linked to cancers and other illnesses. And the animals deserve our respect and kindness.
It is the meat eaters who are getting ill and dying.

The whole concept of being vegetarian has changed. It is not just about not eating meat. It is a more  positive thing. It is not what you don't eat, so much as what you do eat. It is about choosing ethical sources for food. It is about choosing ethical products that were not tested on animals. It is choosing to support green initiatives that benefit the planet. Vegetarianism is a lifestyle change that moves towards living compassionately. If you choose to not harm animals then you also choose to not harm the planet that is their home.

There is a real link between choosing to eat cruelty free and being eco-aware. I think they are part of the same ethical response.

It is getting easier to be a vegetarian and it is now a more common lifestyle choice. I was at a Humane Society volunteer party and the food was all vegetarian and vegan. I had the best vegan chocolate chip cookies ever.
I even have vegan soap from a local company that hand makes it.

We really should be celebrating. Remember when people stared if you talked about not eating meat. Now a great many of the people that you meet are vegetarian.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine