Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A veterinarian reflects on euthanasia
This seems like the right place for this article. I thought it was beautiful and shows a depth of understanding. When you have pets there will come a day when the pet leaves you. So often we have to make the choice to end suffering before the animal dies naturally.  It is the last kindness we can do for a beloved pet. It is comforting to know that out veterinarian understands how hard it is  and feels our pain.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

We always hope the day never comes, but at least we know when it does, it can be  a peaceful and gentle letting go for both the pet and the owner.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's good to see a sensible and compassionate approach to euthanasia. Many people can be scared of it because it feels like 'killing' an animal they usually love very much.
There is definitely a time and a place for it. When an animal caretaker feels there is no more hope, and no medical approach  is going to work any longer.
But that said, there is a lot to be said for 'hospice care at home'. That is when an animal has some decent quality of life, an is still enjoying something....whether that be food, or company of loved ones.....etc. There are always palliative care medicines available, to take away pain etc.

But euthanasia is a kind death at the very end. My Misty passed very peacefully in only 5 seconds. That was because she was ready to go, having spent some time in hospice care with me. She had not suffered for very long during that time, though had slowed down in the last week.
The vet who gave her the injection said "I wish there would be one of these for me when my time comes."
I like the idea of home hospice care. Whenever possible I do this.  Usually the animal passes peacefully, if not in my arms, then snuggled up with friends.

Sometimes that is not possible. When an animal is clearly suffering or life has just become too much  of a burden, sometimes the only kind thing to do is to let go. I always hope it doesn't happen that way, but sometimes it does. I am prepared to do what ever is the best for my pet. For some people the decision must be very hard. I am glad there are vets who are willing to help people make the choice.

Misty's passing was beautiful. She had gentle home care and a peaceful end when it was time.

So far all of my reptiles have slipped away when it was time.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine