Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bull fighting ban overturned
Catalonia Spain banned bull fighting, but the top Spanish court over turned the ban. That means bull fighting is now legal in the area.  This was done because the Spanish Courts claim bull fighting is part of Spanish heritage.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

My first thought is, one step forward then two steps back.
Bull fighting was banned, now it is not
 and bull fighting has been affirmed as part of Spain's cultural heritage.
That will make it even harder to get rid of.

Why can't people see that no matter how "traditional" something is, if it is wrong, it needs to be stopped.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, I saw this on the BBC News website. You beat me to it in starting a thread, LOL!

It is indeed a backwards step, but the "bullfighting is part of our culture" argument is mainly supported by the current government. Generally, in Spain there is a small but growing body of people opposed to the cruelty and slaughter. Also, bullfighting is less popular there than it used to be.

In the long term (not tomorrow, sadly), it is likely that bullfighting will be stopped in Spain. The people of Catalonia will, no doubt, continue to resist bullfighting locally. If nobody goes to watch there, they won't last long.
(10-23-2016, 06:20 PM)LPC Wrote: The people of Catalonia will, no doubt, continue to resist bullfighting locally. If nobody goes to watch there, they won't last long.

That was what I was thinking, LPC. Gradually, perhaps district by district, maybe it will become unpopular for animal cruelty reasons. Hopefully one day, the ideas will spread.

In Britain we have similar issues. There are certain die-hard 'traditionalists' who still will not give up the cruelty of blood sports. There are 'pockets' of countryside communities who sadly, cannot even see the need to stop:
Badger baiting
Fox hunting
Bird trapping
Pheasant shooting
Hare coursing.......you name it.
Every country has something that is a holdover from less enlightened times. We know that these things will eventually stop. It is just hard to know that they are still going on.

With bull fighting, the end will come when no one pays to see the event any more. When they no longer get the crowds it will not be profitable to raise bulls and kill them. If enough tourists boycotted Spain because of the bull fighting they would rethink their position on it. Tourist dollars speak louder than traditions.

Canada has the baby seal slaughter. If the rest of the world boycotted seal products it would make the "industry" unsustainable and they would find other, better, sources of income.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine