Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WWF reports that 2/3 of species could be gone be 2020
The latest WWF(World Wildlife Federation) report warns that 2/3 of all species could be gone by the year 2020.
This would be a terrible disaster for the planet. Loss of biodiversity means the loss of the ecological health of the planet.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=1&at=dt0

This of course assumes that we carry on as usual destroying things. However we can change how we treat the planet. We can change how we treat animals. We might not save everything, but we can do a lot.

The first step is to admit that this is real, the way we are finally admitting that climate change is real. Then every country needs to do its part to reverse this. Each and every one of us needs to live in a way that helps the planet. Everything we do needs to be evaluated. Is it good or bad for the planet.

There are programs now to help endangered species. We need more of them. Just banning toxic chemicals and giving the bees a chance would help. Planting things to give animals food would help.

A big area that needs to change is farming. We need the food, but we need to produce it in a way that is less destructive of the planet.

I hope we as a species see this as a real challenge. We all need to be planet heroes that dedicate ourselves to living in ways that are planet friendly. It is the only planet we have, if we break it we are in trouble.
Think of how good it will feel if we can fix things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is quite frightening and the writing's on the wall. We are being given an opportunity to do something about it now. I hope we will.
Part of the 'don't care attitude' wich people have is that they often put money or profits before long term concerns. And there is an ignorance sometimes of the impact of certain species on the health of our planet. If those people knew, they would re-think.
Most people have children or grandchildren, and we owe it to them, and their children to get things sorted out while we still can! Their future is at stake.
Sadly a lot of people don't plan for next week so planning for their children and grandchildren is something they are unable to think about. The people who are fighting to keep the planet healthy are the ones who can understand the consequences of species die off. A lot of people will go along because they understand that there is a problem even if they don't understand it.

Now we just have to hope that we are the majority and out efforts will be enough.

I see a lot of positive efforts being made. I think WWF is wanting to warn us so we will try harder. They are not wanting people to give up hope. There are efforts being made in so many areas. Individual species are being protected. There are groups that fight logging and strip mining. There are groups defending the ocean. Lots of people are working to save the bees and other pollinators. Somehow everybody's efforts come together as one movement. The planet may be damaged and changed and we will lose species, but I think we can save much.  Time is short though. For some animals time has almost run out. We have no choice, but to do as much as we can in what ever way that we can.

Thank-you to the WWF for their little nudge to remind us that it is an emergency.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine