Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gavin is having cataract surgery
Gavin is my neighbour's 11 year old Jack Russell. He runs up and down on the sidewalk between our two houses. (the houses are three feet apart).  Lately he has been pretty quiet because he can't see any more. One eye has glaucoma so it can't be helped, but the other has a thick cataract. Toronto actually has a dog ophthamologist who specializes in such surgeries.

So if all goes well, Gavin will have his surgery, recover and be running back and forth between the houses again.

I found an interesting site dealing with dog eye issues.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...GvjBWP8-9g

They do such amazing things. I really hope little Gavin can be helped. We all love the little dog.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Very best wishes to Gavin for a successful operation! Please keep us posted.
I will let you know when it is done. He is just the sweetest dog and I miss seeing him running after his toy ball.
Catherine

Oh bless little Gavin! Cataract surgery should be pretty straightforward and successful. The cataract needs time to 'mature' usually though, before it can be removed, and waiting can be  tedious.
When he has the cataracts removed he will be so happy to be able to see well again. I wish him good luck with the operation. He will soon be running up and down again.
Let us know what happens!
I think the operation is Tuesday or Wednesday. I will ask when I see his people. Gavin is just the nicest Jack Russell. Because the houses are so close and the front gardens are connected, I see a lot of him. His cataract is so thick he can barely see. It will be like a miracle for him to see again.
Catherine

If he is basically fit and doesn't have any serious health problems which might make anaesthetic a greater risk....then he should sail through it! He will wonder what has happened to the world he has become accustomed to. He will suddenly be able to see everything! Be prepared for a bit of barking! Smiley4
I haven't seen Gavin outside so he may be at the vets. I will check with his people tomorrow. I would love to hear him bark. He has been quiet lately. He is older, but he is in good health. They have a little girl 18 months and the dog adores her and she loves him. She is so gentle with him. She will be happy to have him running around again.

I think it is wonderful what they can do for our pets.
Catherine

Is there any news about him? Or maybe you haven't seen him because it's colder weather.
I hope the surgery went well for him.
It is cool out and I haven't seen my neighbours all week. Of course he would stay at the vets for a few days. His toys are still lying around outside.  If anything had happened they would have picked them up. I should see them soon and I will let you know. I want to see Gavin outside having fun again. He is such a wonderful dog.
Catherine

I ran into my neighbours  and Gavin came through his surgery very well.  They even brought him out to see me. He is walking around very well  and has much better sight.

He still has a cone on his head to protect his eye and he feels  funny with it. So our dear little  Garvin is well and his sight is restored.  He is getting the best of vet care and all is well.
Catherine