Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judge grants Chimp non human rights
Mendoza Zoo in Argentina has held Cecilia, a thirty year old chimp in poor conditions for years. She has been a lone since the other chimps died and has a very poor quality of life.
A judge has actually declared that Cecilia is a being with non human rights. She therefore must be removed from the zoo and housed at a primate sanctuary with other chimps.
This is a landmark case. There have been other attempts to rescue Cecilia and there have been other attempts to get chimps legally recognized as having rights. This time Chimpanzee rights have be recognized and upheld.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...Mrw6oXkWig

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...5Ua8J_Vl0g

This case will have an effect on other cases. The law looks at previous cases when making decisions. Now that the rights of one chimp have been upheld, it will be easier to gain rights for other chimps. This will effect the rights claims of other great apes.
Who knows, this could help the captive orcas and other intelligent animals that have unfortunate dealings with us.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is good news and very moving. I hope Cecilia will live out her days now in peace and with some kindness.

This is a wonderful beginning certainly for Primates, and hopefully for all animals. Though it's rather typical of humans to grant such rights to a species which is "closest to Human"....I am hoping as time goes by the rights as non-human persons will be granted to many others.

As the president of AFADA said, "The Habeas Corpus recognition means that the animals are not things anymore"....

(Those who have dogs, or other animals already know that their companions are 'non human persons'! Sharing life every day with any personality, even of another species makes that obvious.)
(11-09-2016, 03:25 AM)Tobi Wrote: (Those who have dogs, or other animals already know that their companions are 'non human persons'!  Sharing life every day with any personality, even of another species makes that obvious.)

Like button
My reptiles are not things either. My guinea pigs have thoughts and feelings. They grieve their lost friends. Things don't grieve.

Even my little dwarf hamsters had feelings and hopes. They cared about each other.

Animals are not things!

You are right that we have given rights to the more human of species, but once you cross the line and grant some animals rights, you open the door to other animals. We just have to keep that door open.
Catherine

I'm happy for this chimp. It's about time animals get rights too!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Quote:I'm happy for this chimp. It's about time animals get rights too!
This is part of a movement that is not going to be stopped. Every time one animal gains rights it helps move all other animals closer to having rights. Certainly chimps are gaining the right to live in peace in sanctuaries.

I think the judge was courageous for making his decision.
Catherine