Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Domestication vs. taming
I will just say that Misty never hurt another dog. Her chastisements of those pups for doing anti-social things were no more than a mother would do with her own pups to put them in their place. She was not naturally aggressive. I hope I didn't make it sound like she was very harsh. She wasn't.
She was an "Alpha" type among other canines, but with me she was a gentle companion, never stressing me or trying to 'take anything over'.

Yes that's true, the foxes never asked for the experiment to happen. But it may save the lives of at least a few of them, if they happily adapt and become someone's animal companion. Then they are out of the fur farm.....and going for walkies...and eating nice food....and sleeping on the sofa....and sleeping in a human's bed?.... Smiley4
Quote:I will just say that Misty never hurt another dog. Her chastisements of those pups for doing anti-social things were no more than a mother would do with her own pups to put them in their place. She was not naturally aggressive. I hope I didn't make it sound like she was very harsh. She wasn't.

She was an "Alpha" type among other canines, but with me she was a gentle companion, never stressing me or trying to 'take anything over'.
I never got the impression that Misty was aggressive. Dominant yes, but dominant is very different than aggressive. A dominant animal or person just assumes authority. Those around them accept this because they recognize the alpha qualities.

Aggressive animals and people are usually not alpha types. They want to control things or push others around. It is more like bullying.
Someone who is a natural leader doesn't do that. Younger dogs accepted correction from Misty and learned from it because they could tell she was right to correct them. She only corrected them when they needed it. With you she was an equal so she treated you that way. 

I like the idea of the foxes living happy lives as beloved pets. I hope that is what happens. Sadly it won't happen for all of them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine