Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Pet Parents"-a new style of pet sitting
Many people are not comfortable with leaving their dog in a kennel when they go on holiday. Recent news stories confirm that they are right.
Instead they look for a private home and a person willing to take their dog in and care for it. They can relax because they know their animal is getting the best of care.

For the people taking the pet in, it can become a very good business. They get to enjoy people's beautiful pets and earn some money at the same time.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I can understand the anxiety about leaving a pet in a large impersonal facility. Too many things can go wrong.
I can also understand people giving up their regular work to care for pets.  It would be work that one could enjoy. Using the internet to coordinate and connect people together makes things more convenient.

The only anxiety would be checking the home out to be sure your pet would be safe there. How good a job do they do checking people out? I suppose references would help.  I think big kennels may become a thing of the past. No one likes to leave their pet in a kennel.  I am sure a dog could get used to the dog sitter and enjoy going there after a few visits. It would be just like home and that is what matters.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is a much nicer idea. So long as the 'animal-sitter' had good references, or at least back-up from friends about the way their own animals are/were treated. I suppose someone has to start somewhere, so there will be those who don't necessarily have references, but people who consider leaving their beloved companions with a person should do as much research as they can. And be very observant about the way other animals in that person's care are treated.

Misty and I once 'dog-sat' someone's dog while they were away for the weekend. That dog had such a nice time, and Misty was quite happy with him bedding down in our place. It was a much better option than a kennel for him. He was never totally happy. I knew he wanted his people back as soon as possible. But we made his stay fun at least. And he did like us.
I think you and Misty were a perfect example of how it works. The dog who stayed with you was not at home and missed his people, but you gave him a good time and he was okay with that.

I think the bunny I board is another good example. Luna has been coming to my place for years. I work to make his visits special and he does have fun. I think of it as Bunny Spa vacation. He is happy with me, but like every good vacation we are glad to go home. He is happy to come to me and then he is glad to go home when the time comes. He always knows when it is time to go home. I don't think I do anything different so how does he know?

Having a good dog sitter who enjoys having your pet stay with them would allow you to take a vacation in peace. You would know that your pet is having a bit of a break too. I hope the idea catches on. I also hope they sort out how to be sure that someone is safe and reliable.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine