Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why you should adopt a senior pet
There are lots of reasons why senior pets end up  at animal shelters. There are lots of reasons why you should adopt a senior pet.

In the end there is one good reason....the difference you can make in that pet's life.  When you take in an old pet and care for it, you are giving that pet a good end to its life. You are changing that pet's life. They are going from sad abandonment in a shelter in what should be their golden years, to a happy loving home where they will be cherished to the end.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

How often in life do we have the power to do something so awesome. When you take in an old pet you are giving hope to an animal that feels lost and abandoned. It is worth every minute and it is still worth it when you have to say good bye much sooner than you hoped. The loss you feel is nothing compared to what you have given to the senior pet.

I only had 15 months with Rosie the guinea pig. The only thing that would have been worse than losing her so soon, would have been never knowing Rosie in the first place. Heart She died curled up I'm my arms after the best 15 months ever. Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(11-23-2016, 04:31 PM)Catherine Wrote: When you take in an old pet and care for it, you are giving that pet a good end to its life. You are changing that pet's life. They are going from sad abandonment in a shelter in what should be their golden years, to a happy loving home where they will be cherished to the end.

How often in life do we have the power to do something so awesome? When you take in an old pet you are giving hope to an animal that feels lost and abandoned. It is worth every minute and it is still worth it when you have to say good bye much sooner than you hoped.

That really sums it up so well! Superb post, Catherine!
I noticed this Rescue a while back. It is near Cleveland Ohio, and adoptions are usually within 100 miles of the shelter. They rescue and organise fostering and adoption for many abandoned or traumatised senior dogs:

http://www.sanctuaryforseniordogs.org/id3.htm

It is heartbreakingly sad to read what happened to some of those old dogs. Some were so shut down when they were rescued, but have started to come alive again with care and love.

I heard of a number of people also who run their own private rescues, not only in US but elsewhere, mainly giving hospice care, end of life care, or simply a safe place to live out peaceful years/months/weeks. Unfortunately I have lost those links but hope to find them again.

Those senior animals need special care so it's good if adopters aren't poor. They will almost all need on going vet treatment. They will need peace and someone more or less around all the time. And they will need a person or people who can cope with the transition from life and end of life care.
But senior dogs and most animals, though they may have slowed down somewhat, still have lots of fun in them, and seem to draw closer to their Souls towards the end of their lives.
There are a number of rescues that specialize in senior pets.  I can't remember some of the ones I have come across. I thin k there are more than we realize. They take the old pets from the regular shelters.
A lot of the bigger shelters give special care to senior pets. They make a point of having special adopt a senior pet events.

We are starting to recognize that there is something special about an older pet.
That link you posted had some beautiful stories.
I love the dog that was found in a dumpster and now has a loving home. It was sad about Howard the Hound. He was too far gone for them to save. 
What must a dog have gone through to be so shut down it doesn't respond.
I am glad there are special angels that are willing to give life and hope to animals like that.

I found other links:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...ob2Y9wD9Sw

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...8zoIvAt-2w

https://www.google.ca/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcS...ILg&adurl=

It is beautiful to think of all the older pets that are being given a chance. They have given so much as younger pets and now they need someone to give back.
Catherine

(11-24-2016, 02:23 AM)Tobi Wrote: I noticed this Rescue a while back. It is near Cleveland Ohio, and adoptions are usually within 100 miles of the shelter. They rescue and organise fostering and adoption for many abandoned or traumatised senior dogs:

http://www.sanctuaryforseniordogs.org/id3.htm

It is heartbreakingly sad to read what happened to some of those old dogs. Some were so shut down when they were rescued, but have started to come alive again with care and love.

I heard of a number of people also who run their own private rescues, not only in US but elsewhere, mainly giving hospice care, end of life care, or simply a safe place to live out peaceful years/months/weeks. Unfortunately I have lost those links but hope to find them again.

Those senior animals need special care so it's good if adopters aren't poor. They will almost all need on going vet treatment. They will need peace and someone more or less around all the time. And they will need a person or people who can cope with the transition from life and end of life care.
But senior dogs and most animals, though they may have slowed down somewhat, still have lots of fun in them, and seem to draw closer to their Souls towards the end of their lives.
I used to live very near to that rescue place but never knew it was there.  It may have not been there at that time.  It was 15 years ago that I lived there.  

The people who run the rescues and hospices and take in senior animals have hearts of gold! Heart

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It takes a special love of animals to help the older ones. People get a young pet because it is fun for them. People get an old pet because it is "fun" for the pet. 
Running an actually senior pet rescue is a real act of selfless love.

I think most of the senior pet rescues are fairly new. There are more efforts being made to help pets now than there ever were before.
Catherine