Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Den full of Garter Snakes moved
A crew working on a highway came across a den of about 200 Garter Snakes. They quickly called the government and with the help of wildlife biologists constructed a new safer den for the snakes. They were then moved to the new den to continue their sleep in peace.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

This is not just an interesting story, it represents a major change in thinking. In the past they wouldn't have cared what animals were disturbed while doing highway work. Not so long ago, they wouldn't have bothered to help the snakes.  This story is a sign that we have changed.

I would love to have seen them moving all those Garter Snakes. Heart
That would have been a dream holiday for me.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes you are right. People are consiering wild animals more than they used to, and dealing with them more humanely. There are still some horrible stories out there about what people do to creatures, but generally we are becoming more aware I think, and more respectful. Laws help that, and nowadays wildlife has to be considered, especially if they are protected species, before building or construction work can be done.
That wouldn't have happened 50 years ago. So we are changing.

Thank goodness all those snakes were removed successfully. Good job.
I think it is amazing that they built them a new den. The snakes go back to the same den each winter. The hope is that they will wake up from hibernation safely and then next winter return to the new den. It will be interesting to see if it happens.

I don't know if they would have done this even 20 years ago. This is a real sign of respect for animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine