Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officer disciplined for rescuing kitten from drug home
Police officer Beth Richardson was called out to a home where someone was in distress after extensive drug use. While there she noticed a kitten in distress and she took it to a local vet.
The drug users boyfriend demanded the kitten back and it was returned to him. Now the police officer is being charged with
discreditable conduct.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...yAPjmXkdgw

Richardson removed a kitten from a vulnerable situation where it seemed to be in distress and possibly in some danger.
She should be getting a commendation for her work. Probably documenting the situation would have helped. She would have been wise to use her phone to take pictures of the kitten where she found it and even send those pictures right away to someone.
That way there would have been proof of the circumstances the kitten was in and she could have reported that she was removing the kitten and why. She acted like a true animal lover. She saw an animal in distress and she helped it. sadly these days when you rescue something you need to take pictures.

Hopefully the police tribunal will see reason and drop any charges.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

My hunch is that, as a long-serving officer, she will probably get no more than a reprimand. I agree, Catherine, she should have recorded her actions and told her superiors. She acted with her heart (only) and not with her head - but only as many animal lovers would be likely to do.

She deserves credit for having acted promptly to check that the kitten was well by taking it to a vet. I would give her a medal - but I'm not a police officer....
Mybe her "misdemeanour" was acting herself, instead of contacting animal control! Yet acting quickly as she did may save the kitten's life. Bless her for what she did.
She did the right thing and the rest of us would have done the same. I am hoping she is not penalized for her actions.

It is a lesson for all of us  Always document things when you are rescuing an animal. A few pictures of the animal and its distress would show why she had to rescue it. Most of us have cell phones and can easily take a picture. Even better, most phones will send a picture. I like to send a picture so someone else can verify the situation. It is a way of proving that you didn't hurt the animal, you found it in that condition.

It is too bad the kitten was returned to the owners. It doesn't sound like a safe environment.
Catherine

Yes I also hope she won't be penalised. I am sorry the kitten had to go back to where it came from. If it was so badly-off that the officer needed to rescue it immediately, without even thinking of the proper protocol, then that says a lot about the conditions where it lives.

A photo would have been helpful to illustrate the situation. But most likely the officer is in trouble because she didn't follow protocol.
The tribunal has met and even though we don't know the results things are looking better.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...bCotaVhmLg

They have turned the case into a paperwork issue. You can hardly call that discreditable conduct so I think things will be alright for constable Richardson.
Good for the Animal Justice group and the protestors who were there and made it clear that many of us support what the police officer did.

Too bad the kitten was returned to the home, It sounds like an unsuitable situation for a young kitten or any pet.
Catherine