Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad shelter story
The Austin Animal Shelter wanted to share with us a story that didn't have a happy ending. They are a no kill shelter and they do their best to never take a life.
Sadly they had a dog that was loveable, but he attacked and injured an other dog. They tried to find a placement for Dro, but there was no place that could take a dog with a history of attacking another dog. That meant that they had to make the decision to euthanize him.
It is a sad story with a sad ending.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I know even the best shelters can't save every animal. In a case like this it is even sadder because it could be the stress of being in a shelter that triggered the incident. Dro should never have been there in the first place. I know even a no kill shelter will be forced to choose euthanasia sometimes. I can understand how hard it was for them to do this. If some one or some place could have committed to take responsibility for Dro the ending might have been better. Sadly it didn't happen and Dro's life was ended.
I don't know what could have been done, but there should have been a happy ending for Dro.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Poor Dro....I am sorry that had to happen.

Yes the stress and uncertainty could have caused Dro to over-react to some stimulus. But unfortunately, with that on his record, it wouldn't be easy to re-home him, except with an exceptional person.

Some very nice generally peaceful dogs can attack sometimes if another dog goes near their food, or their space. We expect them to be angels but really they are just as prone to faults and failings as we are, It needs a good person to guide those things. They are usually caused by some form of stress the dog sees as imperative at the time.
The stress of ending up in a shelter is hard on a dog. I am surprized that they behave as well as they do. Who knows what stressed Dro and caused him to react. He paid for that one incident with his life. The real fault lies with the people who let him down and caused him to be in a shelter in the first place.

RIP Dro. At least they gave him lots of love before the end.
Catherine

That's so sad R.I.P. Dro.
It is sad that he ended up in a shelter in the first place. Even sadder that he couldn't cope with being there. And saddest of all that it cost him his life.

It should never have happened this way.
Catherine