Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
150 animals rescued from a "rescue"
I guess this is a case of good intentions gone bad. Puppy-Dogs-R-Us is a private animal rescue/shelter in Texas. They have over 150 animals and they are not being cared for. The conditions were terrible. The SPCA has finally moved in and seized the animals and is going to court to gain ownership. The animals are now receiving food and water and basic medical care.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...840&at=dt0

You have to wonder how this happened. Did the numbers just get out of hand or was the owner unrealistic about what they can care for. However it happened it had to be stopped.

This does call into question all the many private shelters that are out there. How well regulated are they. You can go too far with regulations and it makes it hard to do what needs to be done for animals. You can go too far with not enough regulations and oversight. Someone needs to keep an eye on private shelters like this. These animals had been living in squalor for some time. Some may have died because of the conditions. I hope we can find a way to let private groups continue to do good things while we watch and prevent sad things like this from happening.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The local cat rescue I support is upset because another cat rescue is adopting out undesexed cats to people with no promises from anyone that they will even take them to the vets,the one I support even traps and neuters feral cats that can't be rehomed,they get vet care for their problems neutered when their weight and health is right,she couldn't say the name of the rescue but she was pretty upset,there needs to be better regulation for that sort of thing.
Quote:The local cat rescue I support is upset because another cat rescue is adopting out undesexed cats to people with no promises from anyone that they will even take them to the vets,the one I support even traps and neuters feral cats that can't be rehomed,they get vet care for their problems neutered when their weight and health is right,she couldn't say the name of the rescue but she was pretty upset,there needs to be better regulation for that sort of thing.
When they adopt out cats like that they are just contributing to the problem. Most of the people won't get the cat neutered. Even after litters of kittens they still won't do it.

There is a lot of good work being done by rescues that trap and neuter feral cats. They don't need bad rescues letting cats produce more kittens.
Right now there is so little regulation of private rescues. Some of them are great.
But when there is a bad one it is usually very bad before we hear about it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine