Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shepard mix found me
I can't load pictures directly from my phone either. I am still not good at it so I have pictures I need to post and I haven't done it yet.

Fennec is beautiful. He doesn't look too old either. So if he is 9 months and still growing, how much bigger do you think he will get?

I definitely see the Basenji. Now that you point things out I can see the Husky. He doesn't have the Husky eyes though.
He looks like an intelligent dog. How is he around other dogs?  I guess you will learn what he is like as you train him.

Amazing dogs just seem to find their way to you. It is as if you are a dog magnet. I can't wait to hear how he does with Mia.
Keep us posted.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I don't have too many followers on tumblr so it's actually become my picture upload of choice because I can upload several pictures at once and not worry about people commenting on them while I'm in transition and then if I want I can delete them after without anyone asking what happened to them. Facebook lets you create private albums where I could get the same privacy, which is what I had planned to do, but it wasn't working so tumblr it was.

Fennec is great with other dogs. His biggest problem is not all dogs can keep up with him. Fennigan is getting older but he's basically a giant puppy and is big enough he can handle Fennec. The pug on the other side is much smaller and could get hurt because they both spaz when they see each other and try to play. So far the fence has kept them safe from each other but they will run back and forth and both get into the play pounce and then take off running back and fourth. Fennec has shown no aggression towards any dogs which is great and we are going to make sure he says socialized like that. Right now his biggest issue is needing to calm down when he sees other dogs.

Right now as far as training we are working on him with going into the crate when we need him to. A few treats to lure him in and he goes in fine. He's getting better at sit so I started to add sit-stay. I can get about 5 feet away and count to 10. I've also added opening the door while I've told him to sit-stay. He's doing really well. Occasionally he gets excited and pops up but we just walk away and reset to try again. He gets bored easily so I can only work with him for about 15 minutes and I will pick 2 or 3 things to teach him and then it's play time again.
He picks up things really fast so teaching him something in 5 minutes is possible. Its just a matter of hitting on it again a few hours later for another 5 minutes. Also the first couple days he wasn't responding well to the treats I had. I've been trying different treats every day. I tried Zukes dog treats and he loved them and was willing to do anything I asked. Which is the case sometimes. Different dogs respond to different treats. I have these freeze dried beef liver treats, my mentor called them doggie crack, that all dogs go crazy for. Fennec liked them okay but they aren't his doggie crack.
I am going to have to try tumblr. It would be easier and I could put the pictures I want to post there. Facebook is complicated sometimes. I don't always get it to do what I want.

It sounds like Fennec is a very smart dog with lots of energy. At least he learns. You should be able to do wonders with him getting him trained and still have him as a fun loving playful dog.

I have used the freeze dried liver treats. A dog I dealt with had bitten everyone else. Me he followed around adoringly because I always had a pocketful of liver treats when I had to deal with him.

I am glad you found something Fennec likes.  Dogs will do anything for the treat they want.

I can see how the dog training works. It takes patience, perseverance and consistency. And of course you have a special dog magic that does wonders. He is going to be a great dog to live with when you get him settled down. Intelligent, fun and well behaved is a good combination. How do you keep finding such amazing dogs?
Catherine

You could set tumblr up to be private too.  Or just have it be the place you keep pictures. 

He really is a good dog.  We are just trying to work on his nipping.  He's gotten me a couple times and hurts so much.

I don't know how I keep finding amazing dogs.  I think dogs are just amazing or maybe I'm just amazing. 79 
It's not just dogs though because I got the 2 ball pythons last year too and they are both really good.  I actually just heard about 2 more that need homes.  Which just makes me want to look for some sort of set up for multiple snakes.  Catherine I know you have a lot of snakes what kind up set ups do you have?
I am sure you will work things out with Fennec's training. He will end up a well mannered dog.

It is like you are a dog magnet. Somehow lost dogs cross your path and are drawn to you. I think you and the dogs are both amazing. Look how well things worked out for Mia. She has had a good life because of you. I know there was another little dog that you helped place, but I have forgotten the details.  Fennec will be another success story.

I am going to post some tank pictures.

[Image: lqFQd5SlrHYFjNavw85_G85NuICsFgb-fRi_niPk...=w367-h275]Multiple corn snakes

[Image: aQdhwJsqcUVPqEQjbqXzLUoBxJb2kDzZWcR3LcrR...=w367-h275]A set of tanks

[Image: tBJkdFR6i2yVztpHmW8IoyGYNNIOh6AZ1jHVhb_d...=w367-h275]Small Hognose set up...they are in a bigger tank now.

[Image: f75cBQ2PT8zfTzrUGXvYO4vj20D0qHtI7CeYys-Q...=w367-h275]Brooks King Snake set up.

[Image: -jhBrAL0KIb-x1iUxt86WZ2fe5fKISe9NAOnhV8M...=w367-h275]Two ball pythons

[Image: 8YLAXb6K_v7p0vTkD1wbVJF_zJr5eWQh0oiiCFmA...=w367-h275]They are comfortable with each other.

[Image: 29F8QBdGtkxQJCb_z75w4IpaEbVmQzqi8qMIXoEZ...=w367-h275]They look so pretty together.

I find snakes are fine together. You can only have one male per tank(usually). I start them off in a smaller tank and upgrade as needed.
Ball pythons are very passive. Two adults(three if at least two are female) can live in a 36 in long tank. They are not big climbers so don't waste your time with taller tanks. You want floor space.

[Image: AiX1vjY47Fxmh6iD5IAfzP4vgsWiFTIHo24Qj9_X...=w367-h275]I don't know what they are looking at so intently

[Image: rVW2DkdOUC0GesC9stTOF-h-h5UlTOI63pJCYhxz...=w367-h275]They usually sleep together like this.

Front opening tanks are good, but not essential. Cracked aquariums are fine as long as your lids is secure.
Set up the tank and introduce the snakes. You will know soon enough if they are going to get along.
I have never had to separate a snake yet.

Some of the larger groups of young corn snakes had to be sorted out into breeding colonies, but that was a matter of genetics. Although if I found two snakes were clearly bonded I kept them together. Nature has a right to choose and I respected their choices.

What genders are your snakes?
I do try to keep the sizes similar. I wouldn't put a tiny baby snake in with an adult. If they are generally the same size putting them together should be fine.
If you had a big tank you could put multiple ball pythons together. If there is a problem you will know. The snakes will be restless and uneasy. They won't hurt each other.

I separate them all to feed!!!! All my snakes are trained to be fed in plastic snake boxes. It gives me a chance to clean the tank while they are eating. There is no chance of a feeding accident. They get used to it and they expect to be fed that way.
Catherine

you have a set up similar to what we have. I knew you had several animals and was curious.
Jean luc is fully grown and would need a fully grown mate. Bellatrix is getting close to one year. The 2 others I think are 2-3 years old. I remember her getting them but my memory is bad.

Fennec is doing great. Still working on the nipping. He's slightly getting better on the pulling but my arms wouldn't know it. He got to play though the fence today with the neighbor pug, which is Harley. I love that he loves dogs. Unfortunately the fence on that side needs work and he keeps finding places to get under it so I had to stop the playing when he stared to make a dive for the hole.
Bellatrix will catch up in size enough to live with a bigger snake. They do grow faster when they are younger.
The 2-3 years olds could live with Jean Luc or they could work out with Bellatrix.
I am sure you will end up with a large tank mate for Jean Luc before too long.

My older corn snakes are all rehomes and I paired them off and they get along just fine.

Have fun setting things up. Second hand tanks are easy to get. I got two good ones on garbage day a couple of weeks ago, a nice twenty gal and an even better 30 gal.   It is the lids you have to pay for. No one ever throws out a good lid. I wonder why?

I am glad that Fennec is making progress.  He is going to be an energetic dog. He will really need your guidance to channel that energy. He is smart, he will learn.
It is good that he likes other dogs. That is a real plus since you will certainly have other dogs in your life.  I hope he quits the nipping. That is not a nice habit.

Trust him to be smart enough to find the hole in the fence. Smiley4
Catherine