Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trump trumping all over everything
I live here and I can't believe it. I'm sick of it all. There's actually a betting site now to bet on things like how many times will Trump tweet this week and what thing he will destroy on what day. You bet with cents and it's mostly for research but it's interesting.
A lot of my friends have post cards to send to our local officials to tell them how displeased we are with what is happening.
I didn't vote for him and most of my views makes me terrified for the future. I also live in a very Republican state and you would not believe the racism around here even still. At this point I can only let my officials know how displeased I am. In 2 years I foresee most of the Republicans that are letting Trump get away with all this not being voted back in.

I had someone tell me that the reason we have the electoral college is because it "helps" spread the votes so that one section of the nation can't make decisions for the whole. 2.86 million votes difference says different. I can't say if Clinton would have been better but she wouldn't have tried to undo everything Obama did in her first weeks as president.
I can only hope Trump doesn't get reelected and he doesn't do too much damage while we are stuck with him. At this rate is seems like he will be impeached before his 4 years are up and I worry about that as well. Pence is worse.
Well something cannot be right. It is a 'moot point' whether Mr Trump will cause great 'embarassment' diplomatically, if he makes a State visit to the UK!
Now that is something I have never heard of. For there to be any doubt about a World Leader making a State visit....something has to be terribly wrong.
The guy is supposed to be elected....he is the President of the United States, and this country isn't even sure if he should make a State visit or not! (What??!)

Something has to be happening here which does not bode well.
Quote:He came up somehow today at lunch and it was suggested that perhaps people didn't think he would actually follow through on everything he said, like a lot of politicians don't, as the things he says he wants to do are very extreme. Ironic the one person whom you don't wish to be a man of his word, is.
I did fear he would do what he said. He will do it even if it turns out to be the absolute wrong thing to do. He is not a reasonable man.
How did this happen?

Quote:Well something cannot be right. It is a 'moot point' whether Mr Trump will cause great 'embarassment' diplomatically, if he makes a State visit to the UK!
Now that is something I have never heard of. For there to be any doubt about a World Leader making a State visit....something has to be terribly wrong.
The guy is supposed to be elected....he is the President of the United States, and this country isn't even sure if he should make a State visit or not! (What??!)

It is unheard of for a US president to be unwelcome in England(and a great many other countries)

The Canadian Government did a cabinet shuffle to prepare for having to deal with Trump.

Quote:I can only hope Trump doesn't get reelected and he doesn't do too much damage while we are stuck with him. At this rate is seems like he will be impeached before his 4 years are up and I worry about that as well. Pence is worse.
Libby I feel for you. I know the state you live in is pro Trump. It must be hard for you to be there and see how much damage is going to take place.
Dare we hope for impeachment? They need to get rid of Pence first like they did with Spiro Agnew before they got rid of Nixon.

Trump is far worse than Nixon. He has done more damage in a week that we ever thought possible. His executive orders are not thought out so they are creating complications he didn't foresee.

I will say I am proud of the companies that are putting up money to help people effected  by Trump's orders.

There is going to be some extreme racism because racists feel empowered now.

There will be hunting and logging permits granted in fragile ecosystems.
You can count on pipelines and strip mining happening. Companies will go back to dumping industrial waste in rivers and streams even if they are sources of drinking water.
Unless something happens we are going to see destruction on a scale we never imagined.
Unless he quits after the first week and I doubt he will do that. 93
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

deleted

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I am impressed by the strong response in a number of countries. It lifts the spirits.

Canada could use that right now. An ultra right wing trump supporter here in Canada walked into a Mosque in Quebec and killed 6 people, six unarmed people at prayer. The shooter felt empowered by trumps rhetoric and innocent people have paid with their lives. We are not a country that uses guns so we are all shocked and grieving because of it.

No good will come from his hateful ways.
Catherine

What happened in Canada, what's happening around the world, is absolutely awful.
A new dictator spreading hate.
I wonder if what we are seeing is what it was like in the 1930s when Hitler came to power. He was properly elected, but his platform was based on hate.

I am glad we are all so angry and upset. It would be worse if people were indifferent to Trump. Good people are outraged, because they are good people.
Catherine

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/books....html?_r=0

George Orwell's book 1984 hit the best sellers list again. All cause of Trump.

"George Orwell’s classic book “1984,” about a dystopian future where critical thought is suppressed under a totalitarian regime..."

"...the book has reached a 9,500 percent increase in sales..."

I've never read it but I'm very tempted. It's a short book so It should be a quick read.
I am not surprized by the books that are selling well, especially 1984. It is very appropriate to the situation. Especially the idea of alternate facts.
If you haven't read it now would be a good time. It will help you understand what is going on.

Until you read it this is pretty clear.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...NID30t8Muw

There is a good/scary movie version that was made in 1984. It was Richard Burton's last movie before he died and he looked ill, but I think that fit the story. I remember going to the movie, rereading the book and feeling fear that this could ever happen.
Who knew that it could.

I think this would give you a link to the movie.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...talcjoAvVQ

Our bright shiny world seems a long was from this or does it. The essential manipulation of the truth is the real issue and the real danger. People are being told that they are safer and that they will have more prosperity when things that are being done are not going to have that effect. There will be more problems, but people will be expected to believe that they are better.
The uncontrollability of the internet may be the only thing that allows truth to survive. That and the rest of the world putting up a fight.
Catherine