Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your pet will never stop loving you.
I remember that incident, LPC, when the family went to the shelter, and turned their backs on their own dog. It's inconceivable that anyone could do that. It's like something that happens in a nightmare.
I'd love to see a follow-up of that dog and what happened. I hope he found someone who loved him.
The trouble is....people who abandon an animal assume that will happen. It doesn't always. I also remember a case, quite well-publicised, about a dog whose people abandoned her (think it was a 'she') and she could do nothing but cower in a corner and stare at the wall.
The level of trauma and hurt she must have been going through to act like that, I can only imagine. Dogs like that unfortunately, are sometmes deemed "unsuitable for adoption" (in the real world) And we all know what happens to them.

Yes, I can't quite think of a "bathroom" as just the toilet. To me, a bathroom is a room where there's a bath, shower, wash-basin, toilet perhaps (though some people have separate toilets) We say "toilet" or "lavatory" in UK, though most people don't say "lavatory" any more. Or we might say "ladies" or "gents". However usually when in other peoples' houses we might say "bathroom". I think that has caught on a bit from the USA.
We never say "restroom". That would mean a room where you're going to have a rest! haha
Quote:This thread reminds me of the terrible case we discussed some while ago, with the video of a dog frantically wagging his tail when his former (non)-caretakers turned up at a dog refuge....and they said they didn't him him, but another dog. How cynical, how unfeeling is that?
I was reminded of it and a number of other stories where people left dogs on the road. In the one case they had to drive a fair way out into the country to drop the dog off. If you can go that far, why couldn't they just take the animal to a shelter.

People lie to themselves about the dog returning to nature or finding a good home on its own.

My mother had some involved lies about what happened to my pets. Just how would a turtle break out of the house?
She possibly believed what she was saying. I never believed it.
The goldfish that she washed down the drain did not end up swimming free in the lake. We had a septic tank. That was my first pet, a white goldfish called Sylvia. I think I was five.

There are many plumbing confusions between Europe and North America. Canada does tend to have the same plumbing as the USA. The real confusion is the fact that we combine all our plumbing in one room. The actual toilet and the bathtub/shower and sink are in the same room. I think we had outhouses far longer than Europe. When we moved stuff inside we didn't have a history of a room for bathing and a separate room for the toilet, so we put them all in one room. If you go back far enough actual bathing was done in a portable tub in the kitchen. The kitchen had a stove to heat the water and it was the only room warm enough to use for bathing.
The idea of a separate room for bathing seems pleasant enough, but I can't picture ever doing it that way. The European Bidet will never catch on here. Occasionally I am in a home that has one, but they are clearly not being used. I wouldn't use one, the idea seems too weird.
We just developed our plumbing in different directions. Some homes will have a small second room with a toilet and no bath, but that is considered a half bathroom. To be a full bathroom it must have a bath or shower and a toilet/sink.

And then there is my own plumbing situation. I have no idea what the person was thinking or where they were from when they built my place. (It is part of a house turned into a separate apartment)  I walk through my little laundry room(yes it really is for laundry with a washer/dryer and laundry tub) to get to my "bathroom" which has a bath, toilet and sink. So really the washroom(laundry area), Bathroom(where I bath) and the toilet/sink are all one L shaped room. So what would you call that?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine