Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A woman bought a duck for dinner....
A woman bought a duck for dinner....imagine her surprize when she opened the package and it had a head.
It always had a head. She is just used to her meat being processed enough so she can't recognize the animal.

She still ate the duck and I have no sympathy for her experience. I have more sympathy for the duck.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

Ducks are abused by our factory farming methods as much as any other animal. They live sad miserable lives before they are shipped and cruelly killed. If you want to eat a duck you should be able to look it in the face.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I agree. I have no sympathy for this young "lady" at all. Still, if the publicity makes others more aware of what meat eating means (not some neatly cut package in a supermarket) then some good has come from this.

I decided to look at this woman's own page (as given in the article) and soon regretted it, however....It reminded me of why I avoid so-called "social media".

Nevertheless, I hope that she will learn from this experience.
I never thought to look at her page. Now I wish I hadn't done it. You did warn me. I have no sympathy for her. She is very shallow. I just hope all the publicity makes some people think about what they eat.

If you don't want to eat something that looks like an animal then stop eating animals.

This will bring some good publicity about how ducks are raised as food. They are not treated any better than other "farmed" animals. It is time people became aware of that.
Catherine

I've thought about this sort of thing for a long time. Meat which people are used to eating looks nothing like the animal. It comes in little square packages in the supermarket, and people are used to seeing it as dinner. With a few exceptions, most people are totally divorced from the reality of killing another living being for their food.

I once, years ago knew someone who loved to eat meat. He brought some liver which he wanted for dinner, but said he was 'too sensitive' to actually touch the raw meat and prepare it.

Some people are horrified when they buy a herring or a trout which has a head on it when they buy it.

I have never been able to understand such affectations. Either they take full responsibility for the meat they eat, or they become vegetarian/vegan if they are so upset by it.

(For a moment there Catherine...I thought this story was going to turn out differently. I thought it was "Woman buys a Duck for dinner but falls in love with the Duck instead and keeps it as a companion.")
Quote:(For a moment there Catherine...I thought this story was going to turn out differently. I thought it was "Woman buys a Duck for dinner but falls in love with the Duck instead and keeps it as a companion.")
I know, I thought about that, but sometimes it is hard to name a thread. I think I would have indicated a happy ending.

I didn't know what to indicate with this. She is angry because her "food" looked like the animal it really is. That is hypocrisy.
She wants to eat meat, but she doesn't want to take responsibility for ending a life. She doesn't want anything to remind her that the animal was ever alive.
Some people go further and only eat meat that is boneless and skinless and totally removed from reality.

Quote:I have never been able to understand such affectations. Either they take full responsibility for the meat they eat, or they become vegetarian/vegan if they are so upset by it.
I think you sum it up perfectly.
Catherine