Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A kind of telepathy....with a Crow
I wonder if Koori is part of a family group, but leaves them to visit you. You have been seeing Koori for months now so she must have a group or at least a mate. That makes it even more special that she brought the baby to meet you.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Just an interesting little update to the "Crow Blog" Smiley4 

Koori still visits every morning for his/her(?) sandwich or other treat I have. "Martha" (his her ...I presume...daughter?) also comes. But she won't come down into my garden. She will wait on an Ash tree branch.
She doesn't beak-click to me as Koori does. I can tell the difference between them as Koori is slightly bigger and has a longer beak and diferent head shape.

Today I was in the kitchen and heard a terrible din across the field. Immediately I knew what it was and knew who was involved. I looked out and saw two Crows battling with a Buzzard. Crows and Buzzards are sworn enemies.
I went out to watch. The Buzzard was driven away by Koori and Martha but didn't go far and parked him/herself in a tree in the next field.

I thought I ought to show some solidarity, so went across that field making "Crow noises" (LOL!). At my approach, the Buzzard took off and flew away across the hill.
So I came back and when I was in my field I saw Koori and Martha up on the hedge watching me return. I gave the beak-click greeting to them and Koori answered.
So I kept walking to go home.
But Koori flew just above me carrying a big leaf. She dropped it right in front of me! Then she went onto the hedge to watch me. I tried to find the leaf but that was not easy among all the others!

I swear that was a gift. I think it was meant as a "thank-you"....who knows? I know it was an unusual thing for Koori to do and it was deliberate.
You have quite a bond with Koori. Martha is being more careful because she doesn`t have the history that you have with Koori.

I am glad you went out to  help Koori with the buzzard. Sometimes you have to help a friend no matter what.
Koori was giving you a gift. That is how I would see her behavior. I am not sure what the gift means. Maybe it was just what she could find and she wanted you to know she is grateful for your help. With any gift it is always the thought that counts.
Catherine

Tobi, that's an amazing story! It deserves to be published (in addition to this forum, of course).
All day I have been wondering about the leaf gift. Why a leaf? Why a particularly large one?

I came up with this idea....I don't know if it's right, or what.

It could be that Crows regard such items as prime nesting material. I know they use sticks, but they also use leaves. Sticks form the basic framework, but leaves are interwoven and produce insulation and some softness. Probably a little weatherproofing as well. It may be that such an item has quite a lot of value for them. Even though it is past nesting season for this year, and way too early for the Spring season.

Martha (she chose her own name via a sudden "telepathy" lol!) is still unsure of herself. She follows Koori about but I have also seen them apart. However, when food is involved she is right on Koori's tail! Koori is getting a bit sick of it. I have seen him try to evade Martha's demands many a time, and carry his sandwich out of her reach again and again. Sometimes he relents and gives her some. They love each other and stick together, but Martha hassles Koori and can be quite lazy if she thinks she can get food off him.

(N.B. Koori is not a transgender Crow! I can not be sure if he/she is female or male. There are no distinctive markings with Crows as far as I know to tell what sex they are, and also as far as I know, both males and females share parenting duties. That's why one minute I call Koori "he", and the next "she".
Maybe it's a lesson to tell me it doesn't matter much?

Martha is something else. One morning I saw Martha, whom I used to call "Koori-Baby" up in a tree, and said, "It's time we found a proper name for you. What name would you like?" Immediately and with no messing about, the name "Martha" sprang to my mind as if it had been spoken to me! So I guess that one is female, if telepathy has anything to do with it.)
The leaf as a gift of nesting material makes sense. It is a precious gift from a bird's point of view. You and Koori have quite a bond. S/he wanted to give you something special. I think it is a sweet gesture.

We worry too much about gender. It only matters when it comes to breeding. All other relationships are neutral. Since crows share parenting it really doesn't matter to them either. 

Martha is a different story. She is dependent on Koori who is bonded with you. I can see the name coming to you. Maybe animals do already have names. I know I go through quite a bit to name my reptiles. I can choose a name, but sometimes it won't stick. I have to pick something else. 

I like the name Martha for baby Koori. She could have chosen it for herself and sent the thought too you. You are very in touch with your crows.
Catherine

Crow-blog update again Smiley4 

I am not quite sure if this is "tough love" from Koori to Martha....or if Koori is okay -or what.
But today when I went out with the morning treat, there was no sign of either of them. A little later, Martha appeared on the electricity pole. Now the leaves have mostly gone from the trees, there is a clear view from the top of that pole into the garden.
I knew Martha is too skittish to fly down into the garden. She usually waits for Koori to grab the booty and then follows her away to hassle her for some.

So I kept calling for Koori, but she didn't turn up. I made Crow noises (I am getting really good at that!) But still no sign.

So I put the little sandwich on top of the wood shed instead of down by Misty's grave, which is the usual pick-up point.
I knew there would be no chance of Martha coming to that place. I thought I'd make it a bit easier for her as a beginning, hopefully, to her learning to trust coming down to the garden.

I have no idea what happened as I then went out to give Martha some space.

Still no sign of Koori.....probably just another Crow drama and she will suddenly turn up again tomorrow. It's happened before.

The last time I saw Koori was Sunday late afternoon.

Maybe she is trying to give Martha a little push to come down for food? Who knows.... I watched her, some time ago, trying to encourage Martha to come down with her, which was a remarkable event, considering there was a tasty sandwich just sitting there waiting! I could tell she was wanting Martha to learn to do it.
I am glad Martha still came on her own. She will learn to trust in her own time. At least she came to you and knew you would give her a treat. 

I just hope that Koori is okay. 
You have had scares before and it has only been a day.(two? time zones confuse things)
I imagine there are all kinds of reasons why Koori might be away for a day or two. 

Do let us know what happens.
Catherine

Koori is fine! Smiley4  Maybe he/she found something interesting to eat out in the wild yesterday and didn't want my offering! Koori was back today.
I am so relieved. I always worry a little if Koori fails to show up. Who knows where s/he was. I am just glad that nothing happened. I am sure life is very busy  for a crow. They must be planning for the winter. Do they build stronger nets or put away food?

Maybe Koori was testing and training Martha. It worked. She did come on her own.
Catherine