Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other languages
Does anyone here speak any languages other than English? I'm guessing LPC might speak French?
I'm still learning Spanish and I need to practice!
To answer your question, yes I know French, as I have lived in France for many years. I also know Russian well (plus a little Belarusian). The only other language I know is Latin, which - do not believe all you hear! - is actually very useful. It has helped me on countless occasions figure out words in European languages which I don't know (e.g. Spanish, Italian), plus when visiting Rome many years ago I was able to read all the inscriptions!

Regarding Spanish, I can't help you - sorry! But maybe Catherine can....
Oh wow, Latin is a language I wouldn't have thought of, even though we use it all the time in science!
I speak a some French. I can read it better than speak it, but my accent is not too bad. I spoke better French when I lived in Alberta. I use it less here.
I did Latin in university. I need a dictionary for vocabulary, but I still remember the basics. I agree with you LPC, Latin has helped me understand the root of big English words and key words in other Latin based languages. I love Latin. It has a beautiful structure.

I can read the Cyrillic alphabet slowly and know some Ukrainian and Polish words. I have a small number of words in Italian. Greek, Portuguese and Spanish, but I don't know the structure of the languages.
I can understand some German if it is simple and in context with what we are doing.

Toronto is very multilingual so I know random words in languages like Urdu.

French is the only one I can speak other than English. I wonder if anyone else speaks Spanish.
It would be a good language to learn.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine