Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zoo removes rhino horn to protect from poachers.
Poachers killed a rhino in a French zoo to steal its horn. It was a horrible thing. The animal had no where to run and he was brutally attacked for his horn.
In response to this, the Czech zoo has cut off its rhino's horn.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

If this is what it takes to protect rhinos then this is what we will have to do. It is a drastic measure in a desperate situation. There are so few rhinos left. Every death is a tragedy. Death at the hands of poachers is unacceptable. Maybe the only way to save rhinos is to remove their horns. I know it has been talked about. It can be done painlessly and safely. Poachers use less gentle methods and the rhino doesn't survive, except in rare cases.

Poachers are the worst of humanity and I wish we could declare them non human as in no longer fit to be part of the human species.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-22-2017, 04:19 PM)Catherine Wrote: Poachers are the worst of humanity and I wish we could declare them non human as in no longer fit to be part of the human species.

This was killing for money (presumably to sell on at a massive price as some sort of aphrodisiac). Only humans engage in this sort of activity. We have no claim to call ourselves "superior". In this case, we are inferior to the behaviour of other species. Animals don't need money, so they don't kill for money.

Sadly, Catherine, we can't "excommunicate" humans who behave terribly. They just bring the whole of our species into disrepute.
This is a stupid and most heartless crime which caused that Rhino fear and suffering.

The fact is that there is NOTHING in a Rhino's horn which works as a medicine. A horn is simply made of keratin, just as our finger nails are, or our hair.
Any reported aphrodisiac effects are most likely the placebo effect, where if a person believes it's going to work, there can appear to be results.
Some people are very backward in their understanding.

I am glad the Czech zoo cut off their Rhino's horn. It's a shame, but will probably save its life.
Quote:Sadly, Catherine, we can't "excommunicate" humans who behave terribly. They just bring the whole of our species into disrepute.
I wish we could. Can we at least take them out of the gene pool?
The rest of us just have to improve so much that it balances the evil the poachers do. They are going to drive a species to extinction just to make money selling "fingernails" to the gullible.

Can we spread a rumor that eating broccoli is an aphrodisiac or perhaps doing acts of kindness.

Zoos and game parks are going to do what they can to protect Rhinos. If it means cutting off horns, it is just fingernails. The rhinos won't care.

There are medicines that are readily available at a reasonable price. Anyone who can afford rhino horn can certainly afford pills.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine