Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals know they are going to be "next"
This is an interesting article about animals being aware of death and in particular being aware that they are about to be  killed.
They make a good case. Animals on the way to slaughterhouses make desperate escapes. It happens over and over. For some lucky animals there is a rescue and a happy ending. Animals on the way to slaughter seem to know and they are desparate enough to take a chance.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It implies a high level of awareness and intelligence to take a chance and run like that. Pigs have jumped from moving trucks.
I am sure every species that we routinely kill has stories of daring escapes.
We need to rethink our whole relationship to animals. If they are so aware of life and death then it is a terrible thing to line them up and kill them the way we do.
In many ways our whole relationship to other species  is a terrible thing. There are few animals that we are nice to.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-23-2017, 03:44 PM)Catherine Wrote: We need to rethink our whole relationship to animals. If they are so aware of life and death then it is a terrible thing to line them up and kill them the way we do.
In many ways our whole relationship to other species  is a terrible thing. There are few animals that we are nice to.

So deeply sad and very true Catherine. It is quite incredible that there has to be such a split between humans and other species. Animals are rarely honoured, respected or even understood by humans, with the exception of many- (I can't say all!) -dogs, cats and 'cute' furry animals, who often unfortunately are 'child substitutes'; though fortunately for them that means they are doted on.
Meanwhile the 'cute furry animal owner' often darent, or won't, give a thought to the sheep, pigs, cows, and all the others who are in abject slavery all their lives and terrorised at the end. Animals with at LEAST equal intelligence and capacity for suffering as dogs and cats.
(I'm sorry because I know that sounds quite bitter, but I had to say it.)

Only 10 minutes ago I passed a field full of sheep, peacefully grazing, and owned by two Polish guys who appear to look after them, and are trying to make a living.
Those sheep are destined to be 'mutton', so I hear. I stopped and told them about it, and told them there is a far better place once the shock and horror is over, and it won't last long. I asked them to forgive the men because they are only trying to survive, and need money for their families, and money is mostly what people hold most dear in this world. Some may have even listened. I visualised what that place would be like for them and sent thoughts of that lovely world to them, and told them to think twice about coming back here!
(03-24-2017, 02:53 AM)Tobi Wrote: I stopped and told them about it, and told them there is a far better place once the shock and horror is over, and it won't last long.
When I first read this, my stupid conscious brain thought that you spoke to the Polish men, then I read on and saw what you meant....and how right you are! Their fate is not something pleasant, plus watching other animals being killed at the abattoir and thinking, "Oh no! It's me next!" hardly bears thinking about.

(03-23-2017, 03:44 PM)Catherine Wrote: We need to rethink our whole relationship to animals. If they are so aware of life and death then it is a terrible thing to line them up and kill them the way we do.

Very very true.
Animals' instincts are even more tuned-in than many peoples'. Yes of course they sense when they are bound for the slaughterhouse. And they certainly sense it when they are there. They can't all be dispatched at once, magically. They will have to wait in line, smelling and hearing everything in front of them, and attuning to the panic and fear.. Can a human imagine what that feels like?

And equally disturbing is the humans' attitude to animals on their way to slaughter....I mean....piglets packed in so tightly that their guts are pushed out of their backsides?? All for a bacon sandwich?
Quote:It is quite incredible that there has to be such a split between humans and other species. Animals are rarely honoured, respected or even understood by humans, with the exception of many- (I can't say all!) -dogs, cats and 'cute' furry animals, who often unfortunately are 'child substitutes'; though fortunately for them that means they are doted on.
Meanwhile the 'cute furry animal owner' often darent, or won't, give a thought to the sheep, pigs, cows, and all the others who are in abject slavery all their lives and terrorised at the end. Animals with at LEAST equal intelligence and capacity for suffering as dogs and cats.
(I'm sorry because I know that sounds quite bitter, but I had to say it.)

I think if we really understand what is happening we have to feel some bitterness and horror.

A young woman on the bus had a purse made from a baby ostrich skin. I recognize it because of the things we have posted.
I also saw a lady with a python skin bag.

I know both those animals suffered before their skins were ripped off to become purses. Knowing the truth means I feel very strongly about what I see. What kind of a person carries around the skin of a dead baby bird? Clearly one that doesn't care.

It is interesting that you stopped and talked to the sheep. When I am on a bus/streetcar/ subway train full of dead coyotes I find myself whispering a silent apology that they died to adorn someone's coat.

The way we ship animals off for slaughter is inherently cruel. They suffer terrible things during the journey. When they finally get there the end is even worse.

It is not just that we eat meat, it is the fact that we have become so cruel in the way we produce it.

I don't know why people think they are superior to animals, but they do. It is a questionable assumption when you look at how we treat animals. Would a "superior" being be so cruel to a "lesser" being?
Catherine

(03-24-2017, 02:36 PM)Catherine Wrote: I don't know why people think they are superior to animals, but they do. It is a questionable assumption when you look at how we treat animals. Would a "superior" being be so cruel to a "lesser" being?

No, they wouldn't.
Unfortunately it's all about money and efficiency. To be divorced from heart-felt thoughts is the mark of a being who has lost its way.
Quote:Unfortunately it's all about money and efficiency. To be divorced from heart-felt thoughts is the mark of a being who has lost its way.

A lot of people are lost. Much of how our society works is lost. We have structured everything to be about money and how to make more of it. That is why people who actually serve people and do things earn the least money. Those who serve money and work to produce more of it earn the most money.

Our whole value system is upside down. People suffer because of it, but animals suffer more. You can't make money from animals unless you are going to compromise on their care and even from how long you let them live. To increase profits they have to be killed young and they have to be killed efficiently. Efficiency and compassion don't belong in the same sentence.
Catherine