Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
46 dogs rescued from South Korea
Humane Society International has done it again. They have brought 46 dogs from South Korea to New York. They will be looked after at various shelters and then adopted out. For 46 dogs, the fear of slaughter is over.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

This is a slow and steady operation. Since 2015 they have rescued more than 800 dogs.
They approach the dog meat farmers and buy the dogs and help the farmer to transition to other work.
Gradually the dog meat industry is shutting down. Eating dog meat is less popular so there will slowly be less demand for the dogs. If they can shut down the source of dogs there is hope that the dog meat industry will finally come to an end.

It is a slow and steady battle against a cruelty that has been happening for many years. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, this was on BBC news, too. It is a great initiative and really works. Dog eating is finally on the decline. South Korea is a fairly open, democratic country, so public displays of disapproval have also helped.
A huge thanks to Humane Society International....and other animal rescue operations which save these dogs. The conditions they came from on that farm must have been indescribable.
I wish those 46 dogs a very happy healthy future, which they will surely get now. They are the lucky ones.

We all must keep the pressure on to combat the dog meat industry. Slowly and surely we can make it collapse.
I think the work of Humane Society International combined with the pressure of public opinion are going to bring an end to the dog meat industry. 

The Olympics are coming to South Korea. The country is aware that many of the people who will attend do not approve of the way dogs are killed and eaten. These things create a pressure to change. Modern young Koreans from big cities would not want to be part of something that is seen as cruel and barbaric. There may be some in smaller villages who want to cling to old ways, but I think in time this will die out. Most people are exposed to the outside world where eating dogs is rejected.

We will see the end of dog eating sooner rather than later. At least I hope so.

Until then groups of dogs are being brought to safety and good homes in other countries.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine