Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inmates help addicted reptiles
Reptiles rescued from meth labs have often absorbed the drugs and are addicted. They can't go to ordinary shelters. A prison in NSW Australia has a program to house the reptiles and help them detoxify. Inmates are selected to work with the reptiles.
The inmates do well with the program and the reptiles recover. Everybody wins. And I am really glad there is a program to help reptiles in need.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

So, how do you handle a meth addicted Jungle Carpet Python while it goes through withdrawal?  Very carefully.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's a good thing they're doing, those poor animals must be so scary for them.
Snakes on drugs would be very distressed. Their systems are very sensitive. I  am amazed that they can help them.
Catherine

I never knew such things could happen. 
Who would keep any sort of creatures in Meth labs?? How thoughtless to start with.

But it is wonderful that these reptiles are getting help. It will be good work for those inmates, some of whom will certainly understand drug addiction and what it takes to detox.

On that note, people who smoke Marijuana, and heavier drugs often forget about the 'passive smoking' their animals do in an enclosed space. This could be very very toxic for them. Even cigarette smoke in a room is very bad for them.
Quote:On that note, people who smoke Marijuana, and heavier drugs often forget about the 'passive smoking' their animals do in an enclosed space. This could be very very toxic for them. Even cigarette smoke in a room is very bad for them.
Anything with smoke would be bad for a snake. They only have one functional lung. I have no idea how marijuana would effect a snake. Snakes have slow metabolisms. Would pot slow things down further?

I did a quick look at some reptile forums and everyone was against exposing snakes to smoke or drugs of any kind.

Quote:But it is wonderful that these reptiles are getting help. It will be good work for those inmates, some of whom will certainly understand drug addiction and what it takes to detox.
This is a good point. Many of the inmates would understand what the snakes are going through with detox. The rest of us can read about it, but we don't really know what it is like.

It s  totally selfish to expose any pet to dangerous substances. I suppose people running meth labs are fairly selfish in the first place. Meth is a nasty drug.
Catherine