Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use sun screen to protect pets
Now that the weather is warming up and we are no longer worried about our pets getting frost bite, we have to start worrying about our pets getting skin cancer. It seems that out pets, especially our cats are prone to skin cancer and need protection.
White cats lack pigment and are the most vulnerable. Veterinarians recommend the use of sun screen.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It turns out that there are special sun screen products for our pets. If you can't get a pet friendly form of sun screen, it is okay to use a baby form as long as it is SPF15 and doesn't contain zinc oxide. Fragrance free is best. No pet would like the perfume smell and it may prove harmful.

Pets are also prone to heat stress so be careful about exposure to the sun and keep your pet well hydrated.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you for this advice Catherine. We can often be inclined to forget our animal companions when it comes to sunshine!
Dogs often need some sun protection on their noses. Not on the 'wet' part but just above where the hair is sparse.
However I never put sunscreen on Misty's nose. I was too concerned about her licking it off. She was OK and didn't have any skin problems, but some animals do, especially the white ones. Dogs with sticky-up ears could do with some on the inside of their ear-flaps too where there is pink skin.

Putting sunscreen on a cat's ears/nose/other body parts....haha that's going to be fun! Smiley4 That is going to be like trying to knit with ice cream.
Quote:Putting sunscreen on a cat's ears/nose/other body parts....haha that's going to be fun! [Image: smiley4.gif] That is going to be like trying to knit with ice cream.
I love the image that comes to mind when I read this. I will have to ponder whether it is possible to  knit with ice cream.

I never thought about the inside of the ears or the dogs nose.

Do they make catnip scented sun screen for cats, if not why not.
Catherine

There are better things to be done with ice cream than trying to knit with it! Or even thinking about  trying to knit with it lol Smiley4  While we are thinking, the ice cream is melting! haha

Catnip scented sunscreen sounds like a good idea. But catnip does not necessarily guarantee that a cat will sit still and 'stay' while you put it on ears!
No cat will sit and stay no matter what you try to do. The catnip might at least let the cat not hold a grudge at you for using sun screen at all.
A dog would probably be happy no matter what it smells like, but if it could smell like bacon or roast beef, so much the better.

I think we better eat this ice cream before it makes a mess. Who wants an ice cream scarf anyhow.
Catherine