Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddest dog needs another home
Two years ago pictures were posted of a dog that quickly became known as the saddest dog. She was adopted and then returned. She was adopted and then returned again. People are moved by the look of her, but they don't seem to be able to follow through with giving her a forever home.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I really hope whoever takes her this time understands her needs and is willing to stick with her. She must feel so unloved when she is brought back again and again.

No wonder she looks so sad.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh dear, poor Lana. She will know something is 'wrong' but won't have a clue what it is.
I do hope her next humans will care enough to have patience with her and allow her to 'be herself' while learning.

It seems food aggression issues are one of the main things that can make a dog 'unadoptable'. I personally, completely understand and would not expect her to be any sort of Angel. She just needs careful handling, unconditional love, and routine. The person who adopts her has to have a realisitic attitude and a good strength of mind.

Dogs that don't like to cuddle....well, there are many dogs who don't always particularly like this. At least, not always when the human wants to, and especially by rambunctious children. Throwing onesself onto a dog and enforcing a hug/cuddle is usually just tolerated by dogs. Even by those who love a cuddle when they are ready.
It's about being sensitive and about real love, and allowing the dog space and giving respect.

I know Lana will find a nice home. Let's hope it's very very soon. I hope we get updated about that.
It doesn't seem fair that Lana keeps coming back. I think people have the wrong expectation of a pet. Not all pets want to be hugged a lot, some not at all. I am not much at hugging either so I understand.

Lana is probably too hurt by her first rejection to want to be touched. She needs someone who will be there for her, but who is willing to wait until Lana reaches out to touch them. I think she will someday if someone gives her enough time.

She is an emotionally wounded dog. She needs people with hearts big enough to overcome her pain.
There must be angels like that out there who will give her the unconditional love she needs.
Catherine

Many dogs who have known trauma, or are low, upset or afraid, will learn to respond if the human lets interaction be on the dog's terms, not theirs. Sometimes just the gentle presence of a human -not interfering with them at all, or overwhelming them with 'love', can help.
Sometimes just sitting near them and allowing them to move away (and return) as they wish will also help.
Reading to them or talking gently helps too.

And as for food aggression...I was the only person or other animal Misty would allow near her food, or even in the space where she ate her food. (Except for treat donations which were graciously accepted from anyone! lol) But to her, her food and water bowls were serious and sacred.
I could do what I liked with her food but she would growl a warning if any other 'intruder' went near her food.
I understoood that about her, never chastised her for it, and thanked her for trusting me.
She learned that behaviour from her life on the streets. Although she was sweet and friendly to all others she met, when there was no food involved.
I understand a dog who has 'food aggression'. It doesn't upset me.
I would think just being with the dog and talking to her and letting her know you are there would be enough. When she is ready she will approach you. When you take a dog that upset you should expect to work on the dogs timeline. If you want a warm fuzzy puppy, adopt a warm fuzzy puppy.
I think when you adopt a special needs dog you do it for the dog. It is not about what the dog can do for you, it is about what you can do for the dog. 

I don't understand the fuss about food aggression. Of course dogs are going to defend their food. What would you expect them to do. I would never put my hand near an animal that is eating. I don't understand why that is seen as a problem. I would consider it normal behavior.

Misty would have been more food anxious because of her street experience, but surely no dog would let anyone touch their food.
Catherine

(05-15-2017, 07:43 AM)Catherine Wrote: I don't understand the fuss about food aggression. Of course dogs are going to defend their food. What would you expect them to do. I would never put my hand near an animal that is eating. I don't understand why that is seen as a problem. I would consider it normal behavior.

Misty would have been more food anxious because of her street experience, but surely no dog would let anyone touch their food.

We seem to share the same feeling about that, Catherine.
I wouldn't be too happy with some other person coming up to MY food either and messing with it when I was eating! I am likely to snap at them! It is impolite to make moves towards someone else's food. It's no different for dogs.

(I left Misty to eat in peace when I fed her. Only on the odd occasion I might pick up her dish to add something to it. She never minded whatever I did like that, and just looked up at me with a trusting hopeful look. But that didn't happen often.)

Re-homing programs do make food aggression a point on which the dog has to score a 'pass'. I always find that a bit sad.
Quote:Re-homing programs do make food aggression a point on which the dog has to score a 'pass'. I always find that a bit sad.
I have heard of food aggression being a key factor in shelters. Dogs that react are considered unsuitable for adoption. It  is such a minor point. Why would you touch a dog's dish when it is eating. You had a good understanding with Misty and you picked up her dish to give her more. Other than that, why would you disturb a dog that is eating.

I am sure that many very good dogs have lost out because they want their food left alone.

I don't like anyone touching my food either. I can be pretty snappy about it.
Catherine

That poor dog!! My heart aches for her. She is heartbroken by thoughtless people. You are right about food issues not being a great big deal. I never go near Suzy's food when she is eating. If I notice, though, that she doesn't eat it right away and after an hour or so I will add something to it to make it more appealing to her.

I new another dog that had the same behavior issue with food and the same problem with people ditching her. Finally a farmer took her to be on his farm.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I am sure that dog would be happier on the farm, Ruth. I think sometimes people who are looking for 'pets' want the cute, the perfect, the ones with impeccable manners, the 'Angelic' types, instead of understanding that even the sweetest dog is first and foremost, a dog.
I met someone the other day with a lovely black Labrador female whose owners had dumped her at a shelter when she grew up! They liked her as a puppy but weren't prepared to live with an adult dog. Fortunately she is happy now, but still a bit skittish, as her 'bad behaviour' was rewarded with beatings at her previous home. Her 'bad behaviour' was caused by the people not knowing how to handle a full grown dog. I think they expected her to be a cuddly toy!
Some people should not have pets. They should get a big stuffed toy to play with. Dogs are living creatures with personalities. They have good days and bad days. They have habits and anxieties. If you are going to live with a dog you have to take the good with the bad.

Maybe the dog doesn't like the people either. They have habits the dog doesn't like. No matter how hard the dog tries he just can't seem to train his people. It is not all about us. If only shelter dogs could talk. We might hear some stories.
Catherine