Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convenience euthanasia
Convenience euthanasia is the practice of putting down a healthy animal for no other reason than the owners find it convenient to dispose of that animal.

This practice is legal in Canada and most likely in many parts of the world. The Veterinary Association does not condemn it and allows individual vets to make their own ethical decisions in this matter. Many vets will not put down a healthy animal for no reason. Some will do it.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

There are people calling for an end to convenience euthanasia. I think the first step needs to be open discussion of the issue.
People need to think about it. We need to stop seeing animals as disposable and something that we have total power over.
There are people who will "throw out" a pet before they will throw out a worn out pair of shoes. Why do we cling to useless things and discard something living. 
We don't reject euthanasia as a way of giving a merciful end to a suffering animal, but there is no excuse for taking the life of a healthy and vibrant animal. That animal deserves a chance to live with a better family than the one it ended up with. No pet should have to die because they were unlucky in their "choice" of a family. (keeping in mind that animals don't get to choose their people)

I thought about becoming a vet, but this issue made me rethink my future. I wanted no part of it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine