Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The zoo is on strike, the animals are not!
Toronto Zoo is having some labour issues and it is on strike. So the whole place is closed to the public.  In the midst of all this the Snow Leopard, the Clouded leopard and the Cheetah have all given birth.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

That is an impressive number of endangered species offspring in a short time.

The animals are being cared for and I am sure the strike will be resolved soon. It is good to know that conservation efforts continue in spite of human issues.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am impressed that Toronto Zoo has exempt staff who are dedicated to the animals' well-being while the strike is on. I am also pleased to learn that the mothers and cubs are scheduled to be off-exhibit for weeks, even when the strike ends and the public can go in again. That is respectful to the mothers and cubs who need peace and quiet.

That is really good news! And THREE Snow Leopard little ones! I do hope that the Clouded Leopard cubs will thrive, as it says they are in the ICU at the moment. Let's hope they will do very well and get stronger.
The zoo has a tremendous endangered animal breeding program. There is also a really good health centre so the Clouded Leopard cubs will be getting the best of care.

Vulnerable animals not on display. The cubs will be ready for the public before they are ever allowed into a public viewing area.
The zoo also breeds the Vancouver Island Marmots and has returned some to the wild. They are never on display. Their survival  as a species is so fragile that we will never get to see them. There is a tremendous amount of conservation and species survival work being done by the big zoos like Toronto Zoo and San Diego Zoo. Toronto has been putting Black Footed ferrets back in their prairie  native home. The zoo is also a release site for the Trumpeter Swans. They have been gone from Ontario for a long time. They brought in some swans from a west coast population. Their numbers have increased and some day we will see flocks of native wild swans again.

I can't wait to see the three baby Snow Leopards. They are so cute as cubs.
Catherine

Good work, Toronto and San Diego! It seems Zoos are a LOT better than they used to be and are comitted to rescuing endangered species. That is very good news.
The big zoos are all registered and participate in species survival plans. Calgary Zoo has worked to save the whooping Cranes.
It was a zoo(Czechoslovakia I think) that saved the Prezwalski's horses. Toronto is also involved in saving endangered frogs.
Zoos do so much more than they did in the past.

Their education programs reach people and try to show them why we should care about ecology and biodiversity.
Animals are housed as well as they can be and their lives are enriched as much as possible.

For some of these animals life in the wild wouldn't be possible. There have been a number of orphaned polar bears that have been raised in Canadian Zoos who are living out their lives comfortably and safely. An orphaned polar bear cub would not have lived.

In many ways zoos are a bit of a Noah's ark ensuring that species survive. San Diego even has a "frozen" zoo. They have stored frozen genetic material from a number of species. Some day we may need it if we are going to save an endangered species.

We don't want species to be lost forever. Many zoos are working to prevent that from happening.
Catherine