Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteers gather 3 tons of garbage in nature reserve
Thirty volunteers traveled to Iceland's remote Hornstrandir Nature Reserve. They picked up 3 tons of garbage from the beaches and bagged it for the coast guard to pick up and remove.
The garbage is mostly plastic. Are we surprized?

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It is admirable that so many people are willing to give their time to so massive a clean-up project. It is sad that they need to do it. This is a remote place and it is still covered by garbage.

This fits with all the discussions we have been having about the oceans being filled with plastic. There  is no place on eath that is so remote that plastic garbage can't find it. We are drowning in plastic garbage.

Three tons! That is a lot of garbage.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh dear....three tons of garbage is unbelievable in a Nature reserve! Now which eejits left that there??

But three cheers to the volunteers who cleaned up.

An old ex-army friend of mine once said, "There are two types of people in this world.....ones who make a mess, and ones who clean it up. Guess who we are?"
I think the three tons of garbage washed ashore from the plastic ocean. So it is the whole world that contributed to this mess.
The ocean currents must be full of plastic.

We just have to keep picking up the garbage. I wouldn't want to be part of the other group.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine