Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook allows animal abuse
Quote:Yes of course you make a very good point there Catherine. Local police have the jurisdiction to be able to make an arrest. Facebook hasn't. At least a 'bad' post stands as evidence. If it were immediately wiped....the evidence may be lost.

This is the point I am trying to make. All an online group(Facebook, Twitter, forums, chat rooms etc.) can do is delete inappropriate material. They have no legal authority to do anything else other than report obvious wrongdoing to the police.
The whole social media phenomenon needs to grow and mature. Unfortunately the people using it are not growing and maturing.

I consider Facebook to be a tool. I use it to get information out to people. I don't often have time to look at stuff being sent to me. Few people actually post on my timeline. If I don't like it I remove it. When I see something I want to pass on I put it on my page. I ignore all the other nonsense and suggested groups etc. I don't  have time for that.  Twitter could be a tool, but I don't want to read tweets and I don't have time to write them.

I think it is up to us to watch for abuse and deal with it. Actual crimes would have to be reported at a local level anyhow.
Maybe someday there will be a global cybercrime unit that will deal with Facebook posts that show wrong doing.
Maybe some day there will be no animal abuse to report. I can dream can't I?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Just another reason for me to hate FACEBOOK!! I find animal abuse disgusting
Cat Lover  Heart
Animal abuse is disgusting, but Facebook posts of abuse have brought abusers out into the open. They can be caught and stopped.
There is no doubt that Facebook is a bit out of control right now. All of the social media sites are out of control. So now we have an opportunity to shape the future of human communication. People will continue to interact on the internet. We can make decisions about how this happens and we can make choices about what we consider unacceptable. We reject animal abuse and child abuse and we can demand that a site like Facebook adhere to that standard.  

I know some people have given up on Facebook.  I can understand that. I still have uses for it, but I regularly unfriend people and delete posts. I don't permit anything on my page that I don't approve of so I am my own moderator. We have to remember that we have power over Facebook. We can delete anything anytime. It is still a way to promote issues and keep touch with some people.

A little positive story about Facebook: I was looking at a friend's page and commenting on something and reading other comments. I read an interesting remark and then I looked at who had written it. I looked at the name and the picture and then I checked out her page and I realized that I had found my niece whom I had never met. We connected through Facebook and now I am in touch with brothers that I had not seen in almost 40 years. (It is a long complicated story)
I have actually been able to see them and Peter and I message regularly. Facebook is keeping us linked since we all live in different parts of the country.
It was a chance connection on Facebook and I used it well, but without Facebook our paths would never have crossed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine