Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new shelves
I have a feeling that a bearded dragon will come your way soon enough. Somehow pets that need homes just seem to end up with you. Make sure your local pet store knows you will rehome a reptile. I am sure they get asked by pet owners who need to rehome their pets. 

I wish you lived closer. The reptile centre regularly places animals with people who will give them good homes. That is why I have so many reptiles with missing parts or some kind of damage.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(06-28-2017, 01:38 PM)Catherine Wrote: I have a feeling that a bearded dragon will come your way soon enough. Somehow pets that need homes just seem to end up with you. Make sure your local pet store knows you will rehome a reptile. I am sure they get asked by pet owners who need to rehome their pets. 

I wish you lived closer. The reptile centre regularly places animals with people who will give them good homes. That is why I have so many reptiles with missing parts or some kind of damage.

http://myparadog.tumblr.com/post/1623684...r-bowl-are

Zuko's new pad. Lol

He really seems to like it. Just need to swap out the box for a real hide and maybe some limbs.

Oh I hope we find a rescue. We're going to look at Repticon next month but we would both prefer a rescue.
Zuko is looking good. I am sure you will find the right house and water dish for him. Then he will be cozy in his new home. I usually put some kind of stick/branch/log in the tank so the snake can climb and get closer to the basking light if they want.
Of course sometimes it is hard to find good branches.

That looks like a beautiful new tank. What size is it? I am guessing a 30 gal, but I can't see how long it is.
Catherine

(06-29-2017, 02:36 PM)Catherine Wrote: Zuko is looking good. I am sure you will find the right house and water dish for him. Then he will be cozy in his new home. I usually put some kind of stick/branch/log in the tank so the snake can climb and get closer to the basking light if they want.
Of course sometimes it is hard to find good branches.

That looks like a beautiful new tank. What size is it? I am guessing a 30 gal, but I can't see how long it is.

We have lots of drift wood because of the lake.  I just need to go look for it and clean it up.

the tank is a 20 gallon.  It's tall instead of long.  I'm not crazy about it.  It would be better for something like fish or like a crested gecko.  It has more head space which he needs more floor space.  But I already had it.  Its the same tank I got when I had all my dwarf hamsters.  It's the one Grey was in.

I have a big tank swap planned.  We have a 75 gallon (Jean-luc), 4 20 gallons (Jack, Claire, Bellatrix, and Zuko), 2 empty 10 gallon tanks, and then we have the 3 empty 6ftx2ftx2ft.  
My plan is to get all the snakes into the 20 gallon tanks.  Zuko has already been moved to his 20 gallon tank and Bellatrix is already in a 20 gallon tank.  Ball pythons really only need a 20 gallon tank.  They hide so much they don't need too much space.  They don't climb either so they need floor space more than anything.  Then I would get the geckos into the 30 gallon tank.  That would leave the 75 gallon tank and the 3 6ftx2ftx2ft (same floor space as a 75 gallon tank) and the 2 10 gallon tanks all empty.  That gives us plenty of options for any rescues we come across.  The 10 gallon tanks are really only for temporary housing.  All our reptiles are separate right now but once we swap everyone the geckos will be living together and I'll need another tank in the event one of them needs a break.  Just need to get more heating pads.
Ten gal tanks are something you keep spares of because they are good starter/emergency tanks. If you bring home a new reptile you can put them in a ten until you have the right set up.  I have two tens going right now, but the BRB(Brazilian Rainbow Boa) is due to move to a 20 gal. He will end up in a much bigger tank some day.

Ball pythons do fine in 20 gal. As you said, they don't move around much. It is great you can get logs. I am forever looking for tree branches for tanks.

You have three 6ftx2ftx2ft tanks? That is an awesome size. Do you have lids for them? You could do a really nice beardie setup.
A water dragon would do well too. That is more floor space than my biggest tank. You are in a position to take almost any reptile as a rescue. You could house a tortoise or a turtle.
You could get a Columbian Red Tailed Boa. They are a good size as adults and really nice looking.
I am sure rescue reptiles are going to come your way. You have a big enough tank for a Tegu or a monitor.
I can't wait to hear what reptile turns up at your door. Reptiles can live a long time and sometimes people just can't look after them for their whole lives.
Catherine

The 6ftx2ftx2ft are the yellow cages. They have sliding glass front so they can't hold water. And one Fennec smashed the side of so it would need to be repaired and would have to house something that wouldn't tray to escape.
We do have quite the potential right now. Just a waiting game now.
So your big tanks can't hold fish. There are lots of other potential pets you can have. If you had something that needed water you can use a large water container. Many of my tanks are cracked and repaired. They work just fine. You could put a smaller tank inside the big tank as a water source. I get all kinds of bowls from Value Village(second hand shop). There are lots of casserole dishes that are perfect for reptiles. I could put a 20 gal tank inside my big tank and do and amazing water dragon set up.

I am sure there are reptiles just waiting for good homes. Bearded dragons are not escape artists so they could live in the broken tank. You are going to have so much fun setting up tanks. I love doing it. You are creating a home space and it is fun to watch a reptiles first reaction to your work. I always hope they will love it.
Catherine

https://ohsomanypets.tumblr.com/post/162841717864

Cleaned up the rack and put it together.
That is a beautiful cage set up. You will be able to keep a number reptiles with tanks like that.
You might end up keeping baby leopard geckoes and you will have the room for them.

What a marvelous gift those tanks are.
Catherine