Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squirrel attacked my Koori!
Late this afternoon, I came back and heard the most awful screeching from my garden. I couldn't see over the hedge, but then saw a Crow fly up, and a Squirrel rush away.
In a moment I saw that the Crow was Koori. He stayed on a branch of the Ash tree in my garden. I couldn't tell if he was injured, but he seemed okay. Then he moved to another branch so I could see he could fly and things didn't look too bad.
I had bought him some salmon paste for his sandwiches in the morning, so opened it and gave him some on some brown bread (just a tiny sandwich) He came down and took it so all must be well.
Poor Koori. He's had a hard time of it in the heat-wave recently. I have seen him panting with his beak open quite often. I put 2 water bowls down, and moved them around with the shade, just in case he wanted a cool drink.
It must be really hot if a crow is panting.

I wonder why a squirrel would get in a fight with a crow? I am glad to hear that Koori is okay. I am sure the salmon paste made him feel a lot better.

Now that you have tamed him, we all feel like Koori is our crow and we worry about him. No doubt they were fighting over food.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I just love crows. I used to have one when I was a young teen. They are delightful birds! I hope Koori will be okay.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Koori is fine. He was on the electricity pole first thing, cawing at me (in the bathroom) to hurry up because he wanted his sandwich.
I noticed that a couple of his feathers looked a bit askew. Otherwise he seemed fine. He followed me half way as usual when I went to Sally's.

I had no idea Squirrels would attack Crows. I don't know if that was just a bad squabble over food rights....or if the Squirrel was trying to prey on him. But I am glad I came back when I did as it was Koori who was making all the screeching.

It has become cooler. It's still lovely weather but there's a nice breeze and this mornng was cloudy. All the birds look much happier, and there isn't that dead silence in the middle of the day, as there has been for the last few days.
Tobi, I just some quick research. I won't report all my findings, but it is worth searching for "Squirrel and crow fight" and "Do crows eat squirrels?" (not the other way round).

I suspect that Koori took exception to a squirrel entering your garden, which he regards as his (and yours too of course, LOL!) It was probably a brief squabble over territory and eating rights.
Oh I see! It might have been Koori who started it then. It's just that I hadn't seen a Crow vs Squirrel squabble before. There are always Squirrels nearby, who come into my garden. Yes maybe Koori was 'protecting his patch'! But the noise he made was such a shrieking din, and didn't sound angry but sounded hurt. Maybe the Squirrel gave some back -perhaps a little more than he was expecting. Their teeth are very long and sharp. I know as I was bitten by a Squirrel once and its teeth went right through my hand.
No trouble today. I think they sorted it out (?)
I never thought about squirrels and crows fighting. It could be territorial. Your garden is a special location since there is food.
Koori might have felt the need to protect the area.

I hope things stay peaceful from now on.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine