Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horses shipped for slaughter are mistreated
Canadian horses are being shipped to Japan for slaughter. I find that disturbing.

Worse, they are not treated humanely while they are being shipped. Canada has terrible laws that fail to protect any animal being shipped for slaughter. It is bad when it is within the country. When the animals are being shipped to other countries they seem to have no protection.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

The horses are clearly being raised for food. Since we don't eat much horse meat in Canada, they are raised with the goal of live shipment in mind. It seems a betrayal of gentle creatures that have long had special bonds with people. Horses have changed our lives by serving as transportation and they have helped us plow our fields. We have gained by our long friendship with horses. Now we repay the friendship by shipping them off to be someone's fancy dinner in another country. Angry
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I find it disturbing too Catherine. The Canadian suppliers of these horses know exactly what they are doing and how the horses will suffer. I am sorry Canada is involved in such things!
Canada is not doing well when it comes to the treatment of animals. Animals can be shipped for slaughter in other countries and no one thinks anything about it. We wouldn't kill the horses and eat them here. Most people don't eat horse meat here. For the sake of profit we are willing to sell horses for someone else to kill them and eat them.

It is cruel. Horses are such sensitive creatures. The whole trip would be stressful and frightening.
I am glad there are groups monitoring this. I would like to see our whole system changed so that animals are protected. Right now we are making little changes in response to big problems.

I wonder if anyone is checking to see how the horses are treated when they arrive in Japan. What kind of slaughter methods do they use. We have seen how they kill dolphins. I am sure they horses are not well treated when they arrive.

Why do we feel we are no longer responsible if we send an animal off for someone else to do the killing.
A lot of countries with good animal welfare laws are struggling with the issue of the live shipment of animals.

If we send an animal to a certain death under cruel circumstances we can't say we haven't condoned the animals fate. We chose to send it knowing what would happen.
Catherine

(06-23-2017, 02:17 PM)Catherine Wrote: I wonder if anyone is checking to see how the horses are treated when they arrive in Japan. What kind of slaughter methods do they use. We have seen how they kill dolphins. I am sure they horses are not well treated when they arrive.

Why do we feel we are no longer responsible if we send an animal off for someone else to do the killing....

If we send an animal to a certain death under cruel circumstances we can't saw we haven't condoned the animals fate. We chose to send it knowing what would happen.

Indeed.
Live shipment of animals is diabolical, under the current situation anyway. And 'food source' animals might as well be on one of those trains to Auschwitz, for all the care they will receive!
Quote:Live shipment of animals is diabolical, under the current situation anyway. And 'food source' animals might as well be on one of those trains to Auschwitz, for all the care they will receive!
The analogy is good. The animals receive no care and by law they don't need care.
It is cruel.
If they plan to slaughter the animals, why don't they do it here and ship the meat. It doesn't spare the animals life, but it saves them from a lot of distress before they die.
Catherine