Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beagle Freedom Project rescues dogs from Texas labs
The Beagle Freedom Project is a group that rescues animals that have been used in labs. Usually those animals are euthanized when they are of no further use. The Beagle Freedom Project feels that after what they suffered in the labs, these animals deserve a happy retirement. This time four dogs and a cat were rescued.

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-new...1202-story

Until we can end animal testing this group is doing something special. Animal testing still continues so this group saves the animals that have been used. It doesn't make up for what these animals have suffered, but it does give them a happy ending.
It is at least bringing something good out of a bad situation.

How sad that the thing that makes beagles such good pets also makes them desirable as lab animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What this charity is doing is wonderful. Good find, Catherine.

However, I am outraged at this part of the article:
"In many states, including in Texas, labs are allowed to get animals from shelters and use them for testing."

I am amazed that the shelters agree to let stray animals be used in this way. They presumably check out private individuals carefully before letting them take an animal (at least they do checks in the UK and France). So how come it is OK for the shelters to allow the animals to be taken by a laboratory for painful tests? That is hardly "going to a good home".

I am tempted to say, "That could only happen in America", but perhaps this appalling practice is carried out in some other countries. I don't have evidence. But I suspect that phenomenon is unique to America.
I don't know if it happens in all states, but in some places city run shelters are considered "pounds" and they can legally take in strays. They can also be forced or obliged to give up strays to labs. In some places that is the law, but it doesn't actually happen.
Private shelters, who raise their own funds, can't be forced to do this. I assume an SPCA shelter could not be forced to do this.

I think it is still a clause in the rules for animal services here in Toronto, but no animal has been surrendered to a lab in a very, very  long time. They are working at changing the bylaws, but these things take time.

I would hope the shelters that used to surrender animals to a lab would find a way to block this from happening.
If they don't then why do they  bother to interview people before they get an animal. It seems a bit hypocritical.

The Beagle Freedom Project is a wonderful thing. They rescue the animals, but they also raise awareness of animals that are being used in labs. Having pets in the community who used to be lab specimens should really raise awareness of the plight of lab animals.
Catherine

Blessings to the Beagle Freedom Project, and for all that they do to raise awareness about those poor dogs. Let us hope that all the dogs released go on to know what real life for a dog is about, and are loved and part of a good family. Heart

If it is still a clause in the rules for shelters....let's also hope- (or inquire?? Although we may not be told the truth, of course!) -that no such thing is actually happening. I do not trust anyone where money is involved (if for instance it was.) And I have less trust in a large charity with a 'big name' than I would have in smaller independent shelters.
But maybe that is only my own cynicism at work there....

Also shelters are under so much pressure from incoming numbers of strays, that it would be very tempting to release some number to make room. Let us hope that's not happening (?)
I would hope that actual "charity" shelters would never release animals to a lab. I think it is only ones that are under city bylaws. Some cities still have bylaws that allow this to happen. I don't know that the shelters were ever paid for animals that were sent to labs. It is a practice that dates back to another time and very different thinking. It fits with shelters that routinely killed healthy animals.
There are less of those kinds of shelters around.

I don't know if the size of the shelter makes a difference. I think who founded it and who has the final say about shelter business has more of an influence over shelter policy. Shelters that are over crowded now have a lot of options. The animals can be transferred to other shelters and there are special groups that will do the transfer.

There is no need to kill lab animals when they are no longer needed. Groups like the Beagle Freedom Project will find them homes. There is a lot of hope for the future because there are some really good people working to help animals in need.
Catherine