Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chickens in Toronto!
The subject has come up again. The bylaws ban the keeping of chickens in Toronto, but people want to keep chickens. So the city is considering lifting the ban. Or at least lifting it in some areas just to see how it goes.

http://www.citynews.ca/2017/07/10/toront...hickens-2/

There are already chickens in Toronto. They are just not legally here. Sometimes you can hear them. I am sure the city would be better for having a few hens around. We now have bee hives in the city and they are no trouble. A few chickens would eat a lot of bugs and help reduce insect pests.  I think it is a great idea.

I think we should have goats too. They would be better than all the lawn mowers we have around.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh, I had no idea it was not legal to keep chickens in Toronto!  Well, yes, people should be able to keep chickens -so long as they are kept healthily and well, and not in a very confined space, and animal welfare laws are obeyed.
I am sure there will be all kinds of bylaws telling us what size the chicken coop must be and how it must be built.
I don't know when they passed a bylaw banning chickens. There are still chickens in the city even though they are banned. Every so often the chicken issue is raised. This time thy might lift the ban. 

It will be funny to wake up to the sound of hens clucking.
Catherine

I can't understand why they would make it illegal anywhere to have chickens but they do here, too. Chickens are lovely birds!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Lots of people want chickens so they might end up allowing them. Of course that will only work long term if people look after them properly. I would like to see chickens in the neighbourhood. It would make the area more natural and they could eat a lot of pests.
Catherine