Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goats at work!
Edmonton has a weed problem in Rundle park. There are different ways this could be handled. Edmonton has sensibly called on a herd of goats to eat their way through the problem.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/g...-1.4207275

This is a great idea. The weeds are eliminated. There is no negative environmental impact. It is quite ecologically sustainable and an added bonus is the fact that the park receives a dose of natural fertilizer as it is getting cleaned up.

Every body wins. I wish we used goats more often in more places.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, it is a very good solution. The only risks are of curious people interfering, or the slight risk of small bits of plastic being ingested by the goats (people-caused, again). But provided people stay away and the area is not too polluted with human rubbish, the solution is indeed excellent.
There are so many places where we could use goats.

Rundle Park should be safe for the goats. They can monitor them and the area should be fairly clean of garbage.
Edmonton doesn't have the crowds of people a big city would generate. I believe I went canoeing in Rundle Park in 1988. It is a big place. The goats will love it.

Any time we can find a way to clean up an area without chemicals or polluting machinery it is a good thing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine