Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Severely damaged dog can now eat on his own!
Some people may not know Sky's story. I have been following it, and am pleased to say this dog whose head and facial structures were severely damaged can now eat normally! This is the most positive and wonderful thing to see. He is such a lovely dog.

Just watching a dog eat food is so amazing considering what Sky has been through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJBb1JO85SI

Sky was hurt badly by someone (I do not know the full story). Half of his face was removed. He had a number of surgeries to reconstruct facial tissues as best as possible. He always had a will to live. Yet his jaw was fused, so he was unable to eat and had to be fed via a tube. His final surgery was performed with the help of surgeons skilled in HUMAN facio-maxillary surgery. And I am pleased to say was a success!

Anyone who wishes to follow Sky's story can click on other video links provided, which will explain his journey. A warning to anyone who is squeamish...because they contain graphic scenes of surgery.
Sky's injuries are at lot worse than I expected. I am amazed that they could save him.
He still seems to be a happy loving dog. His will to live is very strong.  Seeing him eat on his own is a really happy thing.
I bet his family can't wait to have him back home.

All the best to Sky. I hope his recovery goes well.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Apparently (I think, from what I heard) Sky was hurt in Romania. A family from Germany adopted him, then when he arrrived, they really saw the extent of his injuries, which had not been made clear by the animal rescue who adopted him out! The way he was, he was in desperate need of at least 2 surgeries, but not the kind of surgery any average veterinary surgeon could perform.
So the family will have him back as soon as he has done some 'rehab'.
What remarkable people they are to take Sky under those circumstances. His injuries really are bad. I am glad they were able to find a vet who could help Sky.

He is a remarkable dog. Even at his worst he still seems to be a loving and trusting dog.
I hope all goes well and he is home soon and forever.
Catherine

Oh I think they want him! Sky is not up for adoption, so it seems he is going home to the people who first adopted him from the Romanian Rescue.
I am not surprised. Despite his disfigurement, he is the most beautiful dog with a lovely character.
Sky is a special dog. I hope they have a wonderful life with him. He has such an open and trusting nature. It is hard to believe after what was done to him. It could have damaged his spirit, but it didn't.
Catherine

An update on Sky....and it is the best news. After months of surgery and rehabilitation, here he is now....going home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfevLDoQOOs
I can't believe how good Sky looks. I didn't think they could make his face look that good. He can eat properly and he looks fairly normal. He would be sensitive to how people react to him. If he looked scary he would know it. It is hard to believe that after all he has been through, Sky is going to have a normal life.

It just goes to show we should never give up on an animals and where there is life there is hope.
Catherine