Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time breeding leopard geckos
Snuggle Time! Good signs that I'm going to get eggs even if she isn't already gravid.
http://myparadog.tumblr.com/post/1637809...-my-geckos

The yawn is just adorable! I can't believe I got a picture of it! It was a total coincidence that I was taking a picture when she did it.

If both eggs are viable, they both hatch, and both thrive... (a lot of variables in there) then I plan on keeping at least one baby if not both. My incubator will be set to hatch females so down the road I might be looking for a male to pair with them. Not until they are old enough to know 100% what sex they are. It's just a waiting game at this point. I have plastic shoe boxes for them at first until they get big enough to go into a 10 gallon tank. Then as they grow we will look into a 40 or 55 Gallon like what Jack and Claire are in. I really think they like the room.
I think your pictures are well timed. You could well be expecting eggs soon. 

Claire will show signs and you will know she is expecting. As long as the eggs don't dry out they can be incubated and they will hatch.
If you have the right temperature for incubation you should get girls. That would make things easier for you. Getting another male will be easy. There are always males available.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

So I came across a Facebook post the other day about some leopard geckos that had been rescued from a pet store that didn't know what they were doing. Well I ended up adopting one of the babies that had been hatched from one of the rescued eggs. Meet our new addition! No name yet. My husband and I discussed Jamie from Game of Thrones but it seams they spell it Jaime and I'm not a fan. Most info with the pictures in the link.

http://myparadog.tumblr.com/post/1639875...-pet-store
The new little guy is pretty. Even if the tail doesn't straighten out you still have a nice looking lizard. It makes him/her look unique

That was really good of the people to rescue the leopard geckos. I am impressed that they also incubated the rescued eggs.
It gives the babies a chance at life. I am sure Jamie will do well with you. You couldn't resist the little one with the bent tail could you? The damaged ones are the ones that need us most.
Catherine

(08-10-2017, 05:16 PM)Catherine Wrote: The new little guy is pretty. Even if the tail doesn't straighten out you still have a nice looking lizard. It makes him/her look unique

That was really good of the people to rescue the leopard geckos. I am impressed that they also incubated the rescued eggs.
It gives the babies a chance at life. I am sure Jamie will do well with you. You couldn't resist the little one with the bent tail could you? The damaged ones are the ones that need us most.

I actually didn't know his tail was kinked until I got him. I saw his pattern and picked him for that. His tail was curved in the picture but I didnt think about asking about it. Once he started walking around is when I noticed. I looked it up. The kink is a result in fluctuating incubation temperatures. Which makes since with him being rescued. There's no telling how long his egg was sitting in the incubation box before being rescued and incubated. He's fine otherwise. We gave him meal worms last night and checked this morning. He had gobbled them all up. He hides mostly but last night we caught him walking around once the lights were out. I think he's going to do great. The guy, let's call him Sean, said he's a big eater so when I saw his meal worm bowl empty I knew he was going to do great.

I'm excited to watch him grow. Even Jack wasn't this small when I got him. He grew maybe a little bit longer but mostly filled out. And Claire was full grown. So this is really the first BABY gecko.
Baby leopard geckos are really sweet. He will be so tame because you raised him. It also gives you baby experience before you have your own babies. 
Sean did a good job of rescuing the lizards. Eggs that have been neglected often don't hatch. He must know what he is doing.

So your little lizard family is growing faster than you expected. Random reptiles seem to come to you the way dogs seem to come to you.
Catherine

Random reptiles are the best. I'm always in the right place at the right time when it comes to dogs and with reptiles I'm always online at the right time. Which is how I found Claire, Kate (RIP), Jean-Luc, Iroh, Zuko, and now this little guy. I see the right post at the right time. Jean-Luc really led to all the other snakes. Our little catalyst of reptile rescues. I consider Claire a rescue too. I didn't know, at the time of getting Kate and Claire, they were being miss cared for. It wasn't until Kate passed from a bacterial infection, which I fought the whole time I had her, and then taking a close look at Claire, with her missing toes nails on most of her feet. She is actually missing more nails than she has. She has 2 on her right front foot and then 5 over the spread of her back two feet. Which is from bad sheds where it rips the end of her toes off. It would be extremely painful. Which she hasn't done the whole time I've had her until this last time and I made sure to soak her several times so it didn't get to that point. Our snake babies are just re-homing situations.

We still haven't picked a name for our little guy. The list has gotten longer though. It's been extended to Jamie, King Slayer (Game of Thrones, Jamie Lannister The King Slayer. It's all the same person just different parts of him name), and Kinky Boots (from the movie based on a true story). I like Jamie, King Slayer I like because it sounds so tough for such a little guy, and Kinky Boots I just think is cute, kinda like Puss in Boots. I'm so torn on names now lol.
Sometimes naming takes time. You have to get to know your little baby before you name him. I am sure you will figure out the right name when you get to know him.

You find things on line because you are looking for reptiles that need rescuing. There are a lot of reptiles out there as pets. Some of those reptiles need to be rescued the same as other pets need rescuing. Sometimes people get a reptile and find that it is more than they can care for. The didn't realize how hard it would be to feed it(my pink tongued skink was a snail eater). Or they underestimated how long the reptile would live. Some people  are fine with a 5 year commitment, but some reptiles can live 30 years.  I am glad you are rescuing reptiles. They are such a vulnerable pet. They depend on us for everything.

I am sure your reptile family will continue to grow as reptiles in need find their way to you door.
Catherine

Baby time!
I can confirm Claire is gravid! It looks like she has 2 eggs and she's about half way through her pregnancy. I should have taken pictures. If I get the chance I'll weigh her and take pictures in a few days. I don't want to stress her too much since she hates being handled.

She shed the other day and looks like she ripped the tip of one of her toes off. It's hanging right now so I'm keeping it clean but I'm hoping with the pregnancy and the toe that both her and the eggs are ok. She came to me with lost toes and has always had really bad sheds but this is the first toe she's lost under my care. I feel so bad for her.
Congratulations! You will be incubating and hatching eggs in no time. There is nothing like the sight of your first eggs and then your first eggs hatchlings.
I think they usually lay two eggs at a time.
It is so exciting because until they hatch you don't really know what you are going to get.

Fingers crossed that all goes well. Keep us posted.
Catherine