Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woman filmed abusing dog on the subway.
A woman was clearly abusing her dog. The dog can be seen trying to get away from her. 
Fellow passengers filmed and posted the video.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/wo...-1.4236724

Someone also pressed the alarm and the police did come. Sadly even though the case is being investigated, the dog still went home with her.  It is almost more of an emotional abuse of the dog. She didn't really hurt him, but he was made to feel uncomfortable and unhappy.  That dog wanted to get away from her. I have never seen a dog wanting to leave someone like that. He wasn't wanting to run and explore. He just wanted to be away from her. 

I wish the dog was away from her. A little dog like that deserves so much more than her harsh words. He should be loved and cherished. 
If she doesn't lose him this time maybe he will get away the next time. I am sure there will be a next time. I think the abuse was not a one time event.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

How terrible and very sad. The police, I suppose, had no option but to let her go on her way....or did they?? They should have recorded that incident as a crime. But I guess they don't think systematic bullying of a dog constitutes a crime?

I certainly would have intervened. I wouldn't have minded what the woman or the law did to me. I probably would have snatched that dog right out of her hands. And borne the consequences. If she is doing what she did on the subway train, I can imagine she does the same at least, at home. Biting and hitting is physical abuse, as well as the terror that dog must continually feel.

Poor little Soul. Dear little one. I hope something happens as a result which will save the dog. Someone knows who this woman is and can report her to animal control for cruelty. They have the evidence.
Why has the woman's face been obscured? Is someone trying to protect her? If her face is shown, then people could recognise her, so that the police or OSPCA could visit her home and inspect the dog's condition carefully for bites or other signs of cruelty.

I watched the video carefully. The woman's behaviour suggests that she is mentally unbalanced. She keeps on shifting about into strange, hunched body positions and alternating between kissing the dog and biting and hitting him. My guess is that she has spent time in a mental hospital (perhaps schizophrenia) and has been recently released and got herself a dog for company. Of course, there is no harm in that at all, especially if the dog helps her recover. BUT - and it is a big BUT - abusing a dog in this way is quite unacceptable. The initial response of the police was too soft by far, but at least they appear to be taking the matter more seriously now. Thank goodness for the internet, where such events get quickly and widely publicised, forcing the police and/or OSPCA to take the matter seriously.

This lady could seriously hurt that poor dog one day, away from the public gaze. Let's hope that the situation is properly resolved by the authorities.
Good observation, LPC.

Regarding the woman's face being blurred-out. People who knew me and my dog -perhaps from seeing me in my neighbourhood with the dog -would still know it was me even though they couldn't clearly see my face. When you know someone, you recognise them even with their face obscured. That woman probably has friends, parents, or a boyfriend, etc. Of course they might be just as messed up as she is....but you never know.

I hope the little dog is helped very soon.
The police did come and question her so I think they must have taken her information. I hope they did. The OSPCA is investigating the incident. I hope they will be doing something to protect the dog.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...ZMSMNOnJuA

The video was from a cell phone. It was probably posted online with the face showing. The various media outlets wouldn't be able to show the face because it could open them up to law suits. It also could hinder the OSPCA investigation.  If she is ever charged with anything we will see her face in the news.

I agree, she is probably mentally ill. There are a lot of people living in Toronto who have serious problems. Sometimes a dog is recommended as a companion, but I don't think she is capable of looking after a dog. The dog clearly wanted to get away from her. I just hope he does get away and very soon.
Catherine

I am on my phone so I can't  post an article, but I just heard that charges have been laid and the dog has been taken  away.

I will  post something  when I get home and can use my computer.
Catherine

It is good news! The dog has been rescued. At the time of the incident, the police did not have the video. The person who took the video left the train and posted the video to YouTube. Once the police viewed the video they contacted the OSPCA and action was taken. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/08...ubway.html

I am relieved that the little dog is safe and free from such abuse.  Whatever her reasons for hitting the dog so will never get to do it again. The dog will end up in a safe loving home. 

The owner will be fined or worse. I hope it sends a message to people who treat small animals that way.
Catherine

She has been arrested.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/...ubway.html

The message is very clear, abuse an animal and you will be arrested, charged and you will lose the animal.
I don't know what will happen when she appears in court, but there is a good video showing the dog being abused by her and her face is clear in the video. I think they can make the charges stick.
Catherine

I am glad to hear this news. Thank you Catherine! That poor little dog didn't deserve to be treated like that (and goodness knows what the woman did at home!) Thanks also to the person who filmed that incident, and to the police for taking it seriously. They all saved that dog from further abuse and bullying. Bless the little dog.
The woman who filmed the abuse was very smart. She held her phone like she was doing something with it and very calmly filmed the abuse. Without the video the police couldn't do anything. That is why they let her go at first. They had not seen the video.

The little dog can sleep and eat and even play in peace. He gets to have a happy life free of fear and abuse.
Catherine