Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 tons of marine animals found on ship near the Galapagos
This is a shocking and horrifying discovery. Authorities in Ecuador detained a Chinese vessel near the Galapagos islands and discovered that it was packed with dead marine animals, many of them endangered species. There were many shark fins so we know there are sharks out there dead and dying. It is a terrible loss of marine life from an area that is ecologically significant and fragile.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/08/16/300...-galapagos

They have detained the crew of the ship and perhaps there can be fines and charges against the ships owners. 
Smiley19 Sadly that will do nothing to bring back the countless dead marine animals. They are gone forever and if such "harvesting" continues, whole species will be gone forever.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is terrible news Catherine.

Ignorance and business interests before everything else....that's the cause of this. I'm glad the ship was apprehended so others will know they can't get away with it. The poor creatures....those sharks would have been brutally butchered then just thrown away. Perhaps even while still alive?
Quote:Ignorance and business interests before everything else....that's the cause of this. I'm glad the ship was apprehended so others will know they can't get away with it. The poor creatures....those sharks would have been brutally butchered then just thrown away. Perhaps even while still alive?

The sharks are usually very much alive when they toss them back in the water. It takes a while for them to die.

Most likely they took the animals from the protected area around the Galapagos. There would be more marine life there. That of course is the point of a protected area. It allows the animals a chance to survive and multiply.

I hope they can charge who ever is at fault. They do need to make an example of them.
That means going after the owners of the ship and it means going after the captain and sailors on the ship.
Ship captains are responsible for what their ship does and they should refuse to kill animals like that. They know the law and they know where their ship is. They know they are not permitted to fish in certain areas and they know they are not permitted to kill certain animals.

I hope the ship is impounded permanently. That sends a very strong message.
Break the law and loss your ship. It would at least prevent the same ship from doing it again.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine