Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kite flying in India kills birds
Every year Independence day is celebrated with the flying of kites, kites with string that is razor sharp and very dangerous.
Birds are sliced by the kite strings and many die. Even some humans have been killed. The use of sharp kite strings is dangerous in so many ways. It is heart breaking to see the hundreds of badly damaged birds who were doing nothing, but flying as usual. They can't see the kite strings and don't know they are there until they are cut.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...TVXGuOOhng

Kite flying is also done at harvest festival in January and again many more birds are killed.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...H4qu16z4tg

I am sure kite flying is fun(although I have never been any good at it), but there is no need to do it in a way that endangers birds. Surely they could use safe kite strings. Wouldn't it be more fun if you didn't have a pile of injured birds at your feet?

There is a campaign to stop the use of dangerous kite strings.

[Image: aefc16bfc995688df3dc362ec40b2553.jpg]

[Image: 3f3386524743492c7cf8c502cce1ba2d.jpg]

[Image: Maa-Save-Birds-Campaign.png]

[Image: Kai-Po-Che-Save-Birds-Campaign.png]

I hope the work they are doing helps to change the way people fly kites. It is too horrible to think that every year there will be a massive loss of bird life and terrible bird suffering. No bit of fun is worth the price.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I had not heard of this festival before, so thank you for drawing attention to it Catherine.

When I was a child my Dad used to take us to fly a kite. No birds were injured. It was fun. But that was a pretty old-fashioned kite and I think the string was very thick and obvious. Also it is more dangerous when lots of people are doing it all at once. I can imagine with modern kites that the strings are terribly thin. I haven't seen a kite for such a long time, but is that so?
Poor birds. They won't stand a chance.
They use kites with string that is razor sharp with bits of metal and glass. The idea is for one kite to cut the string on another.  If something comes in contact with the string it gets cut. Birds suffer horrible wounds and many die. Humans who have come in contact with the string have also died. Some have had their throats cut. I understand that children have died. 

It is not just kite flying, it is flying kites with sharp string that does the harm. It is meant to be aggressive and to destroy other kites. Sadly anything else in the way gets destroyed.
Catherine

Many, many years ago (in my twenties) I used to fly a dual control kite. But I never saw any birds go near it and the string was brightly coloured and clearly visible. Dual string allows one to make the kite do loops in the air, but the bright colour helped to see when the strings were crossed; this could then be corrected by doing reverse loops.

I can well imagine that razor sharp thin strings would be dangerous. To coat them with glass and/or metal is totally irresponsible. Such use should be banned.

If the string is brightly coloured and not sharp, then it is clearly visible to birds. I would never have flown a kite if I thought there was any danger to birds. As I said, in the years I used to fly a kite I never saw a bird go near mine and I didn't send the kite near one.
(08-23-2017, 03:24 PM)Catherine Wrote: They use kites with string that is razor sharp with bits of metal and glass. The idea is for one kite to cut the string on another.  If something comes in contact with the string it gets cut. Birds suffer horrible wounds and many die. Humans who have come in contact with the string have also died. Some have had their throats cut. I understand that children have died. 

It is not just kite flying, it is flying kites with sharp string that does the harm. It is meant to be aggressive and to destroy other kites. Sadly anything else in the way gets destroyed.

Oh I see. I must have not read the article properly. An example of humans being competitive with each other....fighting against each other. And they don't care about birds while they are engaged in warfare.,
How horrible. Yes LPC, kite strings like that should be banned. They are so dangerous. People could get wounded also. And ground animals, as kites sometimes fall to the ground and drag along.
Gosh. When we did it it was just for fun and to enjoy a windy day.
Kite flying is fun and with bright strings I don't think anyone gets hurt, people or animals. I have never heard of a kite mishap, unless  you count Charlie Brown's kites that were eaten by a tree.

It is the sharp kite strings that are the problem. They have been intentionally produced to be dangerous. We have taken a fun recreational "sport" or game and made it a dangerous aggressive competition. People have been killed. The kite string has cut people's throats. Birds get horribly sliced up and even if they are rescued, they don't always survive. Their injuries are too great. 
Think of all the birds out there dying slowly and painfully who were not rescued because no one found them. The numbers of dead birds are probably much more than we think.

They need to ban the dangerous kite string and bring back fun relaxing kite flying. 

How do we take simple fun things and make them deadly? What is it about humans that we do these things?
Catherine

(08-24-2017, 12:38 PM)Catherine Wrote: How do we take simple fun things and make them deadly? What is it about humans that we do these things?

Good question! I often wonder that myself.
We have this beautiful planet and we have messed it up very badly. 
We should put dogs in charge. They know how to have fun that is just fun.

As a species we need to learn to ask if what we want to do is going to hurt someone or do damage. I would have thought that is a kindergarten lesson. I thought we were taught to play nice from the time we were very young. When I read about things like the deadly kite strings, I really wonder what some people were taught as children.
Catherine