Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
200 dogs flown to a new life in the USA
Over 200 dogs were flown from Puerto Rico to shelters in the USA. There are many stray dogs and abandoned pets and dogs  often have to be euthanized due to lack of space. There is a beach in Puerto Rico with so many strays it is called dead dog beach.
Efforts have been made to spay and neuter dogs and things are better, but there are still too many dogs to find homes for.

One shelter is in a remote location and the other is closing for renovations. In both cases the need to move the dogs was urgent. 
Wings of Rescue arranged the flights and the dogs will soon find good loving homes.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/08/24/mor...lift-to-us

One of the dogs was born at the shelter 3 years ago and she has never had a home. She has spent her whole life in a shelter.
No dog should ever live its whole life in a shelter. I can't imagine how she will react when she has her own loving home.
For all these dogs this is a chance for a better life. For the shelters it is a chance for them to take in more animals without euthanizing the ones they have. While there are massive overpopulations of dogs in some places, airlifts like this are an act of mercy and kindness. The work that Wings of Rescue and  other such groups perform is real life saving work. They have my respect and admiration. I am sure the dogs are all truly grateful too.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's so sad for those dogs in Puerto Rico. Stray dogs are created by humans; by humans who have no care or respect for them.

I am glad to hear a large number have been flown out and have a chance at a new life. Wings of Rescue are absolutely amazing for the work they do. They have been also transporting dogs and cats away from flood hit areas in Texas and Louisiana, to shelters in other states, and even Canada, in liaison with other rescue agencies.

(Unfortunately re-locating the "Harvey" dogs has caused quite a bit of fear and upset for people who are scared about what will happen to them and how their families will find them again....but that is another story and off topic here.)
You are right that humans have created the stray dog problem around the world. Some areas are over run by stray dogs and they can never hope to find homes for them all. Spay/neuter  programs can at least stop the numbers from increasing. Since they also vaccinate they can cut down the transmission of diseases like rabies.

To actually find homes for the dogs they need to airlift them to places that have room for them. Cities like Toronto have a very large population and almost no stray dogs. It is unusual to find a stray dog on the streets. Dogs sent here have a good chance of finding a home. These airlifts of dogs are the only way we are going to clear up the stray dog problems in some countries. 

I hope many more airlifts can be planned. These dogs deserve a chance to be a pet in a loving home.

The dogs of Hurricane Harvey are a whole different issue.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine