Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catios
I am putting this under art because in some way they are a work of art. A catio is a cat patio. It is a structure  attached to a house that give a cat access to the outside, through a window, into an enclosed structure. It is a safe alternative to letting a cat roam the streets. It allows a cat more freedom and variety than looking out a window.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/09...afely.html

The idea is catching on. It just might take a while to make them simpler and easier to install. Someday there will be an Ikea version with allen key  and some name that we can't pronounce. 

It is a good idea. Cats on the street get killed. They encounter traffic, raccoons, coyotes, toxins and diseases. There are so many dangers. Some kind of safe sun room attached to the house is exactly what they need.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes it's a good idea for those "indoor cats".
For those who have the money for construction, and the imagination to match a cat's escape methods, it is perfectly possible to escape-proof a whole garden or yard also.....within reason. Of course it depends on the landscape.

Here in the UK most cats particularly in rural areas are indoor/outdoor cats. That is they use cat doors to come and go freely.
That suits some of them who are very sensible about cars passing by and get out of the way. Presuming they have space to do that. Sally is very good about being terrified of cars and if she is near the lane, always racing up her driveway to get far away from them.
But still, there are many who are hit and killed by cars.

A covered patio is a lovely idea. It would suit many old cats too, who have no wish to roam, and only want to sunbathe.

It is a good business idea for builders and landscape gardeners who also have some good construction skills!
Quote:Yes it's a good idea for those "indoor cats".

For those who have the money for construction, and the imagination to match a cat's escape methods, it is perfectly possible to escape-proof a whole garden or yard also.....within reason. Of course it depends on the landscape.
It would be good to enclose the whole yard, but I think city bylaws would not allow it.  We do have enclosed verandas, but I think Catios are set up to meet a cats needs better than a human furnished veranda.

If the idea catches on there will be a commercial version on the market fairly soon. It will either be produced by a big pet store chain or it will come from Ikea.

I wonder if they will do a reptile version?
Catherine

Oh right Catherine. I never thought about such things as "City by-laws". Most of the places I know are rural and one can put up any kind of fence within reason so long as it's inside your own property limits and not on someone else's land.

I suppose reptiles can climb up/over/round anything -even overhangs? Cats are pretty good at that but probably reptiles are even better ! A reptile-escape-proof fence would need special planning.
Bylaws are very detailed. Fences must be under a certain height. Railings on decks must be at least a certain height. There are good reasons for having bylaws. People would build all kinds of crazy and dangerous things if we didn't have some sort of rules.

I think simple catios would pass inspection. Of course if they block a fire exit that is different. You can't block a fire exit.

Reptile enclosures would have to be fully contained and the wire would have to be finer mesh and stronger. It would have to be attached to the house and actually sealed with calking because reptiles can pass through small holes. I have a portable guinea pig cage I can put the bearded dragons in if I put them outside. However with Beardies it is easier to just put them on my shoulder and take a walk.

It is easier to take snakes for a walk too. I walk around and the snake hangs around my neck. A lot of times the snake would rather sleep in its hide in its own tank. 

I think we should leave it at catios. They would at least be something a cat would want.
Catherine