Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheep, the eco-friendly lawn mower
Manitoba Hydro has been told that they could save money and the environment if the would give up lawn mowers and herbicides  and use sheep and goats instead. A few sheep  could work all summer and be fat and happy and benefit everyone.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/o...-1.4273328

I like the idea of the wool. The sheep could be sheared in a responsible non abusive way. The wool could be processed and dyed and turned into Manitoba Plaid blankets. 

[Image: plaidseverywhereblog4.png?resize=1200%2C900]
It seems we have quite a few provincial plaids. This would be a wonderful opportunity to help the environment with sheep as lawn mowers and make beautiful plaid blankets. 

[Image: 51973546ae25a00b02696b413e059281--tartan...-plaid.jpg]
I would wear a scarf like this in winter and in Manitoba I would need it.
My father actually had a Manitoba Plaid jacket and on him it looked good.

So I hope Manitoba Hydro listens to the University's advice, saves the environment and just maybe starts a new Manitoba industry. Given our cold winters a woolens industry would be most welcome.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Our years of keeping sheep can only confirm all this. Same with our alpacas: I only cut the grass twice a year (when it gets too long), whilst neighbours are cutting every couple of weeks....
Yes Sheep and Alpacas are very happy to mow our lawns! Some people I know nearby have seven sheep in a half acre orchard and those sheep keep everything nice and tidy around the trees.

And, when it is done carefully and with respect, there is no harm at all in taking the sheep's wool. In fact NOT taking it especially during hot weather is unfair to the sheep.

There are some interesting things which can be done with wool. The above beautiful pictures of tartans being one good idea.

By the way I knew a woman once who mixed her dog's moulting hair in with sheep's wool and spun it and dyed it and knitted some amazing sweaters!
I once mixed some fine Persian cat hair in with wool in a wall hanging.  Wool is wool. It can have different properties, but it is still wool. It was a lovely soft grey colour and it looked good.

Using sheep and alpacas is a sustainable way to control grass. Sheep can create more sheep. Lawn mowers just can't do that.
Sheep get fat and happy from mowing the grass. Lawn mowers need fuel and maintenance.

I wonder, can alpacas handle the cold Manitoba winters. I know they would only be mowing in the warm weather, but they have to winter somewhere. Maybe they could move south as it gets cold and earn their way eating weeds. In the spring they could come back and start to work.
I like the idea.
Catherine

I think Manitoba would be way too cold. Alpacas can cope with cold, but not much below zero deg C. See https://www.alpacanation.com/forum/topic...C_ID=11988

But you are right about eating weeds. Alpacas and goats are good weed eaters. Sheep prefer grass, plus fallen fruit in autumn, and will eat tree bark in winter and some leaves. (We had to protect our tree trunks from the sheep, haha!). Our two remaining sheep, Zina and Lucie, love the autumn, when they munch the fallen apples and plums!
(09-06-2017, 02:18 PM)Catherine Wrote: Sheep can create more sheep. Lawn mowers just can't do that.

Haha! So right. I would love to see a picture of lawn mowers mating ! 25
Zero deg C. is not considered cold in Manitoba. I have experienced -30C and even -40C and that is not counting wind-chill. It is a whole different level of cold. It is the kind of cold that can kill you. Alpacas would have to be housed inside barns for months. They could be moved to BC for the winter. They could graze all winter on Vancouver island and spend their summers grazing in Manitoba. It could work and the benefits would be worth the efforts.

Quote:Haha! So right. I would love to see a picture of lawn mowers mating ! [Image: 25.gif]
They have had no success breeding them in captivity so far.
Catherine

(09-07-2017, 02:18 PM)Catherine Wrote: Zero deg C. is not considered cold in Manitoba. I have experienced -30C and even -40C and that is not counting wind-chill. It is a whole different level of cold. It is the kind of cold that can kill you. Alpacas would have to be housed inside barns for months. They could be moved to BC for the winter. They could graze all winter on Vancouver island and spend their summers grazing in Manitoba. It could work and the benefits would be worth the efforts.
That sounds like a good business plan! You could make a fortune (perhaps)!
(09-07-2017, 10:14 AM)Tobi Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 02:18 PM)Catherine Wrote: Sheep can create more sheep. Lawn mowers just can't do that.

Haha! So right. I would love to see a picture of lawn mowers mating ! 25

Catherine and Tobi: 79 Thumbsupsmileyanim
They are starting to use goats in some places, but alpacas would give us the wool. There are alpacas in Ontario. Maybe we could loan them to Manitoba. I think they farm them in the warmest part of the province. South of lake Ontario is warmer. We do have vineyards and an active wine industry. Of course we also make ice wine which involves having the grapes frozen on the vine. 
Alpacas could live in that area with some winter protection. 

It is a whole industry that has potential. We have a lot of Canada Geese around and they no longer migrate. Life is too good here. The city lets them mow the grass in some places. If you leave the grass the geese will eat it. Also how would you get the geese off the lawn if you did want to mow it. 

Using animals in environmentally friendly ways, that also benefit the animals, is a new area. There is so much potential to do good and save money.

I suspect chickens could be used to clean up slugs and bugs in gardens. There would be no need for pesticides if chickens were eating the insects. The chickens could have happy lives keeping gardens pest free. It is worth thinking about.
Catherine