Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show Yourself
What on earth is zucchini squash?
It looks similar to a cucumber, is green and long.
You don't have zucchini in Australia? It is a member of the cucumber/melon family. It is actually a type of squash. It is ready to eat in the summer so it is sometimes called summer squash.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=1zwf...q=zucchini

It can be eaten raw or cooked. It is bland so it is useful in many recipes. I even ground it up and used it as a marmalade base. It can be used as a base for relish. In the summer there is so much of it they people give it away.
My guinea pigs do not like it, but my bearded dragons do.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Ohhhhhh I thought it may have been something different as we only ever call it zucchini here. Silly me. Love the stuff. We sometimes grow our own.
Just for any UK visitors: the word "zucchini" is a word of Italian origin, which was then exported to the USA & Canada (and it seems, Australia, too!). In the UK the same vegetable is called "courgette". This means a "small courge", from French - i.e. a small marrow or small (elongated) pumpkin.

I don't want to derail this thread - but many UK readers would be scratching their heads otherwise (unless they have US, Canadian or Australian gardening friends!).
Good to know LPC, same vegetable, different names. They grow like crazy here and people make them into muffins and zucchini loaf.
They end up in casseroles and stir fries. We eat zucchini cold with dips.

So what do use it for.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine