Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiarton Willie the groundhog has died
Our beloved Wiarton Willie, the Groundhog has died at the age of 13. That is much older than most groundhogs. Wiarton Willie has been predicting spring every February 2, Groundhog Day, for many years.  He will be missed, but fear not, there is a Wee  Willie in waiting who will be promoted to official Wiarton Willie status on Sept 30 right after Willie senior's memorial service.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017...at-13.html

Clearly we take winter seriously in Canada. Anything that can make it seem shorter is a welcome relief. Celebrating Groundhog Day helps. Spring always seems closer after Groundhog Day. Of course Wiarton Willie often promised us an early spring. 
He didn't always deliver, but the promise did help us get through the rest of winter.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Dear Willie. He will not be forgotten as the harbinger of Spring. Where he has gone it will be Spring all the time.

I am reminded of this beautiul poem by Shakespeare:
"Fear no more the heat o' the sun,
Or the furious Winter's rages
Thou thy worldly task hath done,
Thou hast gone and ta'en thy wages..."

There is more but I can't remember all the words without googling it. But that bit will do for dear Willie.

He reached a very good age didn't he?
Quote:Dear Willie. He will not be forgotten as the harbinger of Spring. Where he has gone it will be Spring all the time.

That is a beautiful thought. Willie served us well and now after all the springs he predicted he can finally rest and enjoy one.
He did live a long life. After all, he was well cared for and he only worked one day a year.

Well done Willie, rest in peace. Wee Willie has been in "training" for the last two years and I am sure he will do a very good job. Just promise us early spring and we will be happy.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine