Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tagging Monarch Butterflies
A team of volunteers gathered in Missouri at Loess Bluffs National Wildlife Refuge to count nd tag Monarch butterflies.
The numbers have declined so much that there is a danger that we could lose the Monarchs. The wildlife refuge has flowering plants, in particular, Milkweed to provide food and an egg laying site for the Monarchs.

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_n...224da.html

It is the efforts of groups like this that are saving the Monarchs. They migrate from Mexico to Canada and they need food and egg laying sites at both ends of the migration and all along the way. The Loess Bluffs Wildlife refuge is one of the Monarch stops along the way. It will take the efforts of many such stopping points to get the Monarchs safely through their migration and it will take much effort at each end to keep them alive and multiplying. The Monarch Butterfly can be saved, but it will take the efforts of many people. Hopefully there will be enough help. Life without Monarchs would be less beautiful. 
Knowing what it is taking to keep them going makes each sighting a special event.

I had 12 monarchs in my yard at once this year. Last year I had one and the year before...zero.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine