Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian members: your chance to stop cruelty
The Canadian Govt is on the point of banning experiments on animals for cosmetic testing. If you live in Canada, please urge your senate to pass the law unchanged, as some large pharmaceuticals want the law watered down:
http://www.cfhs.ca/end_testing

It would appear that only Canadians can take part, as a valid Canadian postcode is needed.
(10-04-2017, 09:23 PM)LPC Wrote: ....as some large pharmaceuticals want the law watered down....

Why does this not surprise me?

I am not Canadian so can't do anything practical in this instance. But my attitude is -if companies want to test their products, why do they not ask for human volunteers -and pay them a small sum perhaps? Also, as I have said before, it is possible to make basic scientific/medical assessment of the ingredients of a product, and therefore to know pretty much, if such ingredients are dangerous to be used on the skin! (apart from anomalous allergic reactions etc) They MUST have sufficient data to do that by now.
Absolutely right, Tobi. 99.9% of ingredients of cosmetics have been trialled in the past. The list of safe ingredients is massive, so there is no excuse for arguing that a new ingredient is necessary. There is no need to test proven-safe ingredients over and over again, but a few countries still require this for every new product. There is an excellent article here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testing_co...on_animals

The USA remains one of the few countries where testing is still tolerated. This partly because of strict governmental safety rules (see the Wikipedia article above).

Any new step is to be welcomed - and hopefully Canada will join the list of countries banning cosmetic testing soon.
I know I have manually signed petitions at events this summer in preparation for this. 
I hope it passes. There is no excuse for a country like Canada to still be testing on animals.

You are so right that all the ingredients have been tested already and there is plenty of data. We keep testing the same things over and over on animals. It gives us a false sense of safety since animal testing is not always a predictor of how humans will respond. Also no amount of animal testing can predict allergic reactions. It is up to the human using a new product to show some caution. 

I wish I could say our senate will do the right thing, but they are not too highly regarded right now. 
Still this count be their moment to shine.

This is the most recent information I could find. 

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...6xYXr9UBJk

I think it will take them some time to examine the bill. I think the longer they take the more likely they are actually considering it. 

You would think pharmaceutical companies would be happy with this. They could save money if they didn't keep testing and retesting products.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine