Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I did it again...
Bullet is lovely! Heart  What a nice face he's got!  Who knows his story -hey? But it sounds like he is happy to be a member of your "pack" already. It sounds like Fennec has met the pal of his dreams.
Yes dogs together -especially young ones will play until they drop Smiley4  Sometimes they need some cool-off time!

Happy days Bullet, and all the best to you.
(10-23-2017, 01:56 PM)Catherine Wrote: Fennec is like a kid who just got a younger brother. It is a great experience, but it can be a little tiring.
It is good you are sensitive to fennec's needs. Each dog will need some special time with you and some special time with each other and some time alone to just relax. Have fun  juggling that. 

It must be fun going for walks with them. Dogs always make a simple walk look like an adventure.

Exactly like a kid who just got a little brother.  He gives us this look some times like "get this thing off me" and I come to the rescue.  Even we need a break from him sometimes.  They actually do really well on walks.  Walks have a purpose and drain them so they just go.  We are making the adoption official sometime this week.  I have to find some time to run by the kennel.
Wednesday or Thursday I found out Bullet had tape worms.  He had pooped on the rug in the front room and I saw what looked like rice in it.  I knew it was worms I just had to find out what kind.  I looked it up and it was tape worms.  So the rescue gave us dewormer for Silver Bullet and I went to my local co-op to get some for Fennec just in case he got it from Bullet.  The worms are also why his fur is thin.  Over the next month we should start to see an improvement in his hair.  I also got some vitamins to help with fleas, ticks, coat, nails... and other things.
(10-24-2017, 03:05 AM)Tobi Wrote: Bullet is lovely! Heart  What a nice face he's got!  Who knows his story -hey? But it sounds like he is happy to be a member of your "pack" already. It sounds like Fennec has met the pal of his dreams.
Yes dogs together -especially young ones will play until they drop Smiley4  Sometimes they need some cool-off time!

Happy days Bullet, and all the best to you.

He's giving us a run for our money lol.  He doesn't quite understand bed time yet.  I can leave him out but he usually has to be put into the crate for about 15 minutes when I go to bed.  I put him in his crate and turn off all the lights so he calms down.  He's a sweetie though.  Fennec is really starting to like him now.  He still gets tired but he doesn't get fed up as much and interacts with him more willingly.
"Rice" in the poop is a classic sign of tapeworms. It is better to deworm both dogs just in case. He should really improve once you have cleared up all his issues. 
You probably know this, but you can get tape worms too.  You know what to look for and it is easily treated. Hopefully not, but at least you know what to watch for.

Silver Bullet is like a kid. He is having too much fun to want to go to bed. He will settle down with your guidance and be a great dog.
You are definitely the right person to have him. 

I can't wait to see how he looks when you get him well and strong and a bit more mature.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(10-25-2017, 03:05 PM)Catherine Wrote: "Rice" in the poop is a classic sign of tapeworms. It is better to deworm both dogs just in case. He should really improve once you have cleared up all his issues. 
You probably know this, but you can get tape worms too.  You know what to look for and it is easily treated. Hopefully not, but at least you know what to watch for.

Silver Bullet is like a kid. He is having too much fun to want to go to bed. He will settle down with your guidance and be a great dog.
You are definitely the right person to have him. 

I can't wait to see how he looks when you get him well and strong and a bit more mature.

once I saw knew it was tape worms I tore though the house and vacuumed and cleaned everything he had touched.  I threw the rug he pooped on away.  Washed sheets kept him in one area until we got him his first treatment and cleaned everything there.  I'm getting a shampooer tomorrow and the whole house is getting washed!  I don't play.

He's already doing well and starting to understand our schedule.  They were just playing together with a rope toy and that is a first.  They usually just wrestle.
You know what to do with tape worms. Clearly you are on top of the issue so you should have no further spread. Carpets are a real problem aren't they. I would do the same and throw out mats that are contaminated. Shampooing your main carpets and cleaning and doing laundry should be enough.

Silver Bullet is a smart dog so I am not surprized he figured things out quickly. It won't be long before it feels like he has always lived with you.
Catherine

I sprayed fabreeze on everything too. I don't play. After dealing with bed bugs a few years ago I don't mess around with anything like that.
I hear you about that. If you don't react strongly and really clean up you can end up dealing with a problem for months on end. A lot of apartment buildings are like that. They can never get rid of things. I do home care in infested buildings and I have to take precautions all the time.

Think of Silver Bullet as a good excuse for a thorough house cleaning. You will all feel better after. 
How is he doing. He should become a healthy dog and grow more now that he doesn't have a tapeworm draining his system. 
He must already feel better.
Catherine

We can already tell his digestive system is doing better. He used to poop every time we took him out and not the most solid. Now he's down to 2 or 3 times. And a better consistency. Not that anyone wants to hear about that but it's stuff I'm used to paying attention to with all pets.
If you got pets, you got poop and you need to be aware of what it is like. That is how you  noticed the signs of a tapeworm.
Silver Bullet is already improving. His whole system will start to function better and he will feel better. You really are the right person for him. Many people would not have recognized tapeworm signs and if they did they would panic and not want him.

He is a lucky boy and you get to see him become healthy.
Catherine