Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
I almost missed it. This is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month. There are lots of dogs in shelters right now. If you are thinking of getting a dog, the perfect dog awaits in a shelter near you.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...XkM4FCELfX

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...I5If7ZHnRE

If adopting a dog is a good thing, think how good it is to adopt an older dog.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/17/ol...dog-month/

Older dogs have so much to give and all they ask for is a place to stay. Even a very old dog deserves to spend the rest of its life in a home of its own.  

There are so many dogs displaced by hurricanes this year so the need for homes is even more urgent.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's a good idea to have a special promotion this month to adopt a shelter dog.

It is wonderful what animal rescues did during the hurricanes. Many dogs were moved around, to other shelters, so many must be quite full at the moment.
I do hope however, that any rescued from the hurricanes were eventually re-united with their human companions. I lost track of the news about that. There was some concern about how people would trace their (particularly un-microchipped) dogs if/when they had been re-located across states.
There is always need to have an adopt a shelter dog month. With all the disasters the need is greater. Much greater.  
Shelter dogs have been sent all over to safe places where they can find homes. I saw my first Hurricane Harvey evacuee this week. She came up with a shipment of dogs and will soon be ready for adoption. They are letting them settle in before they present them to new families. She will do fine here, but she might not like our Canadian winters. Someone needs a big fuzzy sweater. Smiley4

Much effort is being made to reunite pets with their owners. In some cases it won't be possible, but it won't be for lack of trying.

http://www.animalloverswebforum.com/show...p?tid=3168

I think there is a lot of work being done everywhere to make sure that dogs find homes.  The publicity of having a special month will tell people that they can get a dog from a shelter and it will be a good thing. The dog will have a home and they will have a special pet that has so much love to give.
Catherine

I didn't even know I was adopting a dog in the adopt a dog month lol. Silver Bullet is happy snoozing on the couch right now. Only peed in the house twice today. I can't wait to get the carpet shampooer Thursday!
You celebrated adopt a dog month and you didn't even know about it.

Silver Bullet sounds like he is settling in and he clearly has his dream home. 
Yes a carpet shampooer is definitely a must if you have dogs. I keep a can of special spray to remove nasty poop from the carpet. When you've got snakes you've got nasty poop. You might want to check that out at a pet store. It also works on big lizard poop for the times when Barrie surprizes me.
Catherine

(10-25-2017, 02:46 PM)Catherine Wrote: You celebrated adopt a dog month and you didn't even know about it.

Silver Bullet sounds like he is settling in and he clearly has his dream home. 
Yes a carpet shampooer is definitely a must if you have dogs. I keep a can of special spray to remove nasty poop from the carpet. When you've got snakes you've got nasty poop. You ight want to check that out at a pet store. It also works on big lizard ppop for the times when Barrie surprizes me.

I've got a couple types of pet cleaners it's just Kasey I guess didn't know how to clean up spills on a carpet.  So he didn't soak up the pee first so it to the point of needing a carpet cleaner.  Carpets need to be replaced anyway but need to clean them while were stuck with them.
Your carpet will last a few more years if you give it a good shampooing. 

There is no point in getting new carpet while you are training Silver Bullet. Best to let him have his accidents on an old carpet. 
Carpet and pets are not the best combination anyhow.
Catherine

(10-26-2017, 03:15 PM)Catherine Wrote: Your carpet will last a few more years if you give it a good shampooing. 

There is no point in getting new carpet while you are training Silver Bullet. Best to let him have his accidents on an old carpet. 
Carpet and pets are not the best combination anyhow.

The carpet has needed to be replaced for years, it's stretched and bubbling up in places.  There's hardwood under the carpet so I'd love to just rip it all up but Kasey doesn't like hardwood.  Maybe next spring.  It would be nice if I could talk him into ripping it up until we do get replacement but I don't see that happening.
I am with you. I would want to rip up the carpet  and have the hardwood. Carpet is so hard to keep clean. Dirt collects under it.
My carpet was like yours when I moved in, but there was a flood (not my fault) and my carpet had to be replaced. I like the carpet sort of. It is a tight weave. If I had it to do over I would want laminate flooring. It is so easy to look after. I don't like ceramic tile. It is cold. Maybe where you are cool tiles would be a good thing. I suppose dog claws could scratch hardwood and they might find it slippery. I don't know what the best flooring would be for dogs. No floor is perfect. They all have their pros and cons.

What ever you end up doing you will be glad to get rid of your carpet. When carpet starts to bubble like that it isn't nice to walk on. You can spend the winter looking at carpet choices so you will know what you want when the  time comes.  Choosing is fun. Having it installed is not so much fun. Removing the old carpet would be a step in getting a new carpet. Maybe the dogs will chew on it a bit and you will have to tear it up. Good luck with that.
Catherine